By Nate Smith
The autopsy report on Waylon Abel, 30, Loogootee, was released Friday and results conclude that he died from a very rare disease called primary amebic meningoencephalitis, or PAM.
A post-mortem examination, requested by the family, said he died from herniation and swelling caused from the disease. Abel died on Aug. 7 at St. Mary’s Medical Center in Evansville.
“(There are) abundant parasite organisms with morphology consistent with amoebae are identified,” the report stated.
Family members believe Abel ingested the very rare parasite from swimming at the beach at West Boggs Lake.
More on this story online later and in Saturday’s edition of the Times Herald.