NEWBURGH, Ind. — This week I thought we might head south from Daviess County toward Evansville. Everyone knows that Castle High School is one of the longest road trips sports fans in Daviess County have to make. However, maybe this will make that trip a little more pleasant. In all honesty, Newburgh is not really a “funky-off -the-beaten-path-BBQ-kind-of-town.” It’s more of a “just-been-to-the-GAP-ready-for-a- Starbucks-kind-of-town.” However, if Starbucks is your cup of cappachino, then know that if you turn left on the Lloyd Expressway you will certainly pass one before making the turn up to Castle North, South or High School. Also on the Lloyd is Boston’s Pizza and Pub. It is a small chain that is a little upscale from an Applebees. In all honesty, the pizza is very good, with a lot of gourmet varieties like Hawaiian or Thai chicken. There are plenty of appetizers, as well as burgers, pasta and ribs. They have a decent beer selection, as well as several margaritas specials. Another choice just off the Lloyd is Turoni’s Pizza. This is not the main location, which is in downtown Evansville. However, it is the same thin-crust pizza and same microbrewery ale. The Brew Pub is downtown and features, red, blonde and India Pale Ale along with seasonal brews. I believe the next specialty brew is Helles Bock which comes out in the spring. If you have Castle on the schedule, then there is a pretty good chance you are going to have to make a trip to Boonville as well at some point. If so, then you might want to try Yesterdaze Tavern right on the square. I was there before soccer sectional this year. The sandwiches and appetizers were very good and they also had a nice selection of desserts available, along with having Derr’s Soda, which is also made in Boonville. These are old-fashioned sodas, with flavors like pineapple-orange, and strawberry and cream. Just about any trip south means a trip through Petersburg. I have been to many little league and youth basketball tourneys at Pike Central and Petersburg and it always included a stop at Dairy Queen, however, sadly, the DQ is no more. Another change down there includes the relocation of Joe Mama’s Pizza to a location further south on 57. Not a lot of choice, but not a bad place to take 12 little leaguers. As always, let me know if you find a neat little spot somewhere.
Heading south to Newburgh
- How far was Hooterville from Walton's Mountain? I have always said that television is the one item that binds my generation together (the generation that still watches televison, talks on phone and asks people for directions instead of using one device for all three). And with that in mind, it ma
Time to seed the state tournament
The Indiana boys basketball state tournament got underway Tuesday night as the most exciting month in high school began. As the old saying goes, "In 49 other states, it's just basketball, but this is Indiana." With that in mind, the IHSAA needs to to take a long look at seeding the state tournament.
- The pen is mightier than the sibling GD (Grand Dad) came to town for a visit recently and before he left I heard him ask Ava if she would to write something for his newspaper back home. She said she would but I could tell by the look on her face that she didn't really want to. She was p
- Longing for the freshness of spring We won't forget the new words "Polar Vortex," for quite some time. Most of January and February we lived in near-hibernation. When we weren't shoveling our walks, de-icing our windshields or fixing our pipes, we were grocery shopping and preparing fo
- It starts with the question 'Why?' It appears that the Devan Burris murder case is beginning to come to a conclusion, at least from a legal standpoint. However, as our judicial system weighs its options and justice is handed out, one has to look at what is left over after the headline
- Let the kids storm The act of storming the court is one of the most polarizing topics in college sports for a variety reasons — most of them are negative. The view on whether or not it's the right time to storm the court after a big win for the home team tends to be ol
- ISTEP only reason for extended school days The recent decisions by the North Daviess and Washington school boards to extend the school day by one hour are, as expected, difficult. This terrible winter has caused local schools to gauge their communities and ask difficult questions on what to d
- Access should be important to all Over the last 10 days or so, the Times Herald (and public) have been given access to court documents and access to the proceedings involving a murder case in Washington. We are relieved that our fight for access seems to be over, and for the most par
- A basketball life well lived In the time that I have spent at the Times Herald, some of the best of those times were spent with Bill Slatton. Bill, the former long-time basketball coach at Elnora and North Daviess who passed away on Tuesday, was always ready to talk about baske
- Is North Korea on the verge? While it might be called the "Hermit Kingdom," North Korea is seeing a lot of change. Some of those changes were evident in the recent Frontline documentary, "Secret State of North Korea." Like many throughout the world, I'm fascinated with North Kor
- More Columns Headlines