The Washington Times-Herald
---- — 2013 is the centennial birth year for Hornady Park. Finis Hornady, the park’s namesake, owned a 360 acre farm and donated the most scenic 56 acres for a park, the other acreage being donated for the care of orphans.
In 1923 Petersburg citizens planted 200 trees in the park, and several are standing today. In 1952 the 4-H building was built on the exact site of the old Hornady family home. Several shelter pavilions have been added.
Located on Pike Avenue, Hornady Park is continually used by Pike County citizens for activities and events such as: runners, walkers, bikers, family outings, picnics, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, family, church and school reunions.
Also, Pike County Fairs, 4-H exhibits and meetings, beauty contests, Boy and Girl Scout camps, car shows, political rallies, Labor Day celebrations, cultural events, Christmas light displays, and church revival meetings.
Petersburg’s city officials annually allocate a portion of the tax proceeds for the maintenance and upkeep of Hornady Park, which is then overseen by the Hornady Park Board.
This oversight has made Hornady Park one of the finest parks in Southern Indiana.