Eagles events for this week
Eagles Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday. Eagles bingo will begin with early, early birds at 6 p.m. Thursday. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m.
B-R college night on Thursday
Barr-Reeve Junior-Senior High School will host a College Information Night for juniors, seniors and their parents at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in the cafeteria. College admission counselors from Vincennes University, Oakland City University and Ivy Tech will discuss the various programs of study available and the college application process. For further information, call Chastity Sward, guidance counselor, at 486-3265 Ext. 227.
Washington Community Schools regular board meeting will be at 7 p.m. Thursday. Items included on the agenda: calendar changes; Daviess County Community Foundation presentation; school improvement plans.
Auberry/Ellerman benefit Saturday
There will be a benefit lunch and dinner Saturday in front of Washington Catholic Elementary School, 301 N.E. Second St., to assist the families of John Auberry and Brian Ellerman. Lunch will be served from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. with hamburger and two sides for $5. Dinner will be served from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. with chicken, two sides and dessert for $7.
Gymnastics Day this Saturday
National Gymnastics Day will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday. All interested participants should meet at the Washington Eastside Park Bandstand at 12:30 p.m. The goal is to exceed the 20,478 individuals who set the world record in 2011 for simultaneously performing handstands. With the theme of “Turn the World Upside Down,” participants are invited to perform an “inverted skill” at 1 p.m., along with participants across the country.
McGovern benefit this Saturday
There will be a fund raiser for 2-year-old Brynn McGovern Saturday at the Washington Eagles. Brynn was diagnosed with retinoblastoma (cancer) in both eyes. There will be food for sale from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., raffles, 1/2 pot drawings and horse races from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Live music and a silent auction will begin at 8 p.m.
Golf cart show this weekend
Golf cart fans will not want to miss the weekend of Sept. 21-23 at West Boggs Park. Scheduled activities include a golf cart show, swap meet, vendor displays, golf cart contests, golf cart poker run and parade. All events are offered to registered campers at no charge and to daily visitors at normal park entry fees. Golf cart permit requirements and regulations apply. For camping reservations contact the Customer Service Center at 295-3421.
Area Briefs for Wednesday
Eagles events for this week
- Local News
One dead in early morning shooting
City, county and state police are trying to piece together the events that left one person dead. According to police documents those events began around 2:13 a.m. Friday morning when they received a call of a shooting in the 2200 block of Oak Grove Road
One dead after shooting
Police remain on the scene of an early morning shooting that left one person dead. Washington City Police say they received a complaint of a male subject being shot and that the victim was later pronounced dead at Daviess Community Hospital.
Letter writer: Lane designations would help at intersection
I live near the intersection of U.S. 50 Bypass and SR 257 and saw the aftermath of the latest fatality last month. With a 2-year-old grandson of my own, my heart goes out to that family.
- Area school systems see settlement in lawsuit A $14 million dollar settlement in a lawsuit between the Indiana State Teachers Association and the Secretary of State's office will be putting money into some area school systems. The schools had invested in an ISTA health insurance plan that folded
- Ritz talks education changes Superintendent of Public Instruction Glenda Ritz stopped by Washington High School Thursday afternoon and discussed changes she hopes will be implemented to change the face of education in the state. Dr. Dan Roach, superintendent of Washington Schoo
CITY REPORT Thursday 7:27 a.m. - Police received a report from Chuckles at 201 N.E. Fifth St. that someone just drove off without paying for $55.03 in gas.
9:07 a.m. - A resident at 505 Jefferson St. reported someone slashed all four tires on her
- Friday's Area Briefs Commissioners to meet Monday Daviess County Commissioners will meet at 9 a.m. Monday in the Commissioners' Room at the courthouse. Items included on the agenda: interlocal agreement; community corrections report; US 50/SR 257 intersection safety peti
- Colts trying to live in the moment heading into Sunday Live in the moment. That's the game plan for the Indianapolis Colts heading into this afternoon's road game with the Cincinnati Bengals (1 p.m., CBS Sports). With an 8-4 overall record and an AFC South mark of 4-0, the Colts can clinch the division t
- Floraellen McClellan PETERSBURG -- Floraellen McClellan, 95, died at 1:15 p.m. Wednesday at Golden Living Center. Born July 23, 1918, in Monroe City, she was the daughter of James W. and Dezzie M. (Rice) Jones. She was a member of the Women of the Moose in Washington. Sh
- Charlotte Miles PETERSBURG -- Charlotte Marie Miles, 78, died Wednesday at Amber Manor. The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Curtis Funeral Home in Winslow, with Rev. Larry Barr officiating. Burial will be in Pleasant Ridge Cemetery. Visitation is after 10 a.m.
- More Local News Headlines
- One dead in early morning shooting