6:11 p.m. — Dispatchers began receiving calls about power outages, trees and limbs in roadways and on vehicles and homes, and hail damage.
4:41 p.m. — An employee of Fast Max in Elnora reported the drive-off theft of $29.05 in gas by someone in a newer model gray car.
4:26 p.m. — An employee of Fast Max reported the drive-off theft of $20 in gas by someone in a white pickup.
1:35 p.m. — Cleateus Long was at the security center to report a theft.
8:06 p.m. — Denise Enright, 5043S 100W, reported her computer was stolen.
7:24 p.m. — WTVFD Chief Tony Wichman requested a thermal imaging unit at Lot 14, Oakwood Trailer Park, where a fire had been extinguished.
6:11 p.m. — Dispatch began receiving calls about downed trees and limbs, hail damage, power outages, and wind damage.
1:19 p.m. — Don R. Shake, 80, Odon, was driving east on US 50 in his 2010 Chevrolet Silverado with passengers John and Elizabeth Graber, Loogootee. Shake had activated his left turn signal and was preparing to go north on CR 350E when his passengers asked him to stop at a business on the southeast side of the road.
Shake drifted right to make a right turn and pulled into a Mack semi pulling a hopper-type trailer, also eastbound. The semi was driven by Michael J. Hedinger, 54, Jasper, and registered to Elmer Buchta Trucking LLC, Otwell. Hedinger had observed Shake slow down and activate his left turn signal, and had merged into the passing/right turn lane. Shake’s pickup struck the driver’s side trailer tire, causing significant damage to the pickup’s passenger-side front quarter panel, wheel and windshield.
No injuries were reported. Damage was estimated between $2,500 and $5,000.
12:12 p.m. — Kaitlin Schultheis, 16, Cannelburg, was southbound on CR 1200E in a 2006 Pontiac G6, registered to Jerry W. and Betty J. Schultheis, when she lost control of the vehicle in loose gravel near CR 475S while cresting a hill. The car ran off the west side of the road, through some brush and into a ditch.
Schultheis and her passenger, Henley M. Dant, 16, Montgomery, were both wearing their seat belts, and both airbags deployed. Schultheis complained of shoulder and upper arm pain, and Dant complained of shoulder and neck pain.
The car sustained damage, estimated between $5,000 and $10,000, to the front end and undercarriage.
Michael James Neff, 49, Washington, was arrested by city police Tuesday for possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia. He was released on $4,000 bond.
Carlos A. Guevara Carpio, 46, Washington, was arrested Tuesday by state police on a warrant for petition to revoke a suspended sentence. He was released on $2,000 bond.
Jail Population: 161
Police Report for Thursday
- Local News
- Commissioner announces run for re-election Daviess County Commissioner Larry Wilson will run for re-election to the District 2 seat. Wilson, who was first elected in 2009 is seeking a second term in office. "Filing doesn't start until Janurary 8," said Wilson, "but I wanted to go ahead and le
- Blazing its own trail There's a new club in town. Trail Life USA won't officially kick off until the start of the new year, but Jamie Bass and others involved with the organization that meets each Tuesday evening at the Elnora Christian Church wanted to get things rolling
- A light in the darkness The local chapter of Compassionate Friends, a group established in 1968 to help those grieving the loss of a child, grandchild or sibling, will be hosting its 6th annual remembrance and candle lighting event Sunday at the Montgomery Ruritan Building.
- Sports Briefs Vikings split two with Washington MONTGOMERY — The seventh grade Barr-Reeve girls basketball team defeated Washington Monday night 34-21 to improve its record to 3-2. The Vikings were led by Kara Hughes with 12 points and Moriah Bullock had eight poi
- Current construction on I-69 creating unique challenges For the past year motorists driving south on I-69 have been able to nearly reach the Ohio River before running out of highway, but the brakes come on quickly when people hit the Crane exit going north. The Indiana Department of Transportation is work
- Police Report CITY POLICE REPORTS Monday 5:38 p.m. - A woman came to the police station and said someone had taken her Christmas Club check for $360 and cashed it. 7:48 p.m. - Police received a report from Chuckles at 201 NE 5th St. that someone in a Grand Prix dr
- Area Briefs CORRECTION The headline under the photo of the "Children's Nutcracker" gave the wrong date for the performance. The date should be Sunday, Dec. 8. Leaf pick up in Area 1 The Washington Street Department will begin leaf pick up in Area 1 today. WC Pr
- Shopping season off to hot start for small retailers The first weekend of the holiday shopping season is in the books and many small retailers in the Washington area are feeling very positive about their outlook. With Black Friday and Small Business Saturday past and the annual Christmas Parade on the
- Funerals CAROLINE ARMES -- The funeral for Caroline M. Armes was at 11 a.m. Saturday at Bethel South United Methodist Church, with Bruce Mowery and Dean Stuckey officiating. Burial was in Bethel Cemetery. Pallbearers were Ashley Armes, John Atkinson, Jay John
- Benefit for Wayne Wagler There will be benefit lunch on Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon for Wayne Wagler, who suffered a critical head injury in August. Call from pickup or delivery from the Zion Church, CR 900E. The menu includes: chicken, green beans, potato salad and cooki
- More Local News Headlines