The Washington Times-Herald

December 9, 2013

Evans charged with murder in Burris shooting

Two others charged as accomplices

By Nate Smith
Times Herald

---- — Three Washington teenagers were charged in the shooting death of Devan Burris, 17, on Friday.

Logan Dale Evans, 18, 312 Cable Ave., was arrested by city police as he and friend Heaven Berry, 18, turned themselves in on Sunday evening at Berry's apartment.

Both Evans and Berry cooperated with police and were taken into custody without incident. Evans has been charged with murder. Berry was charged with providing assistance to another who committed the crime of murder. They join Lucas Benjamin, 19, who was already in custody for conspiracy to commit murder. He is being held on $10 million bond.

Court records say there was a history of bad blood between Burris and Evans. Evans told Berry and others he allegedly shot Burris as a mistake, according to the probable cause affidavit against Berry.

At 2:23 a.m. on Friday, a call was made to city dispatchers on a possible drive-by shooting on Oak Grove Road near Ebenezer Baptist Church in Washington.

While officers were en route, employees of Daviess Community Hospital and a passerby informed dispatch a male was left on N.E. 14th Street in front of the hospital's ER. A nurse, doctor and others brought Burris into the ER but he died of a gunshot wound to his face and neck at 2:36 a.m.

As officers reviewed security tape to see who dropped Burris off, other officers reviewed the scene and interviewed the owner of the 2000 Dodge Intrepid at the scene. The female told officers Evans and Benjamin had borrowed the car to drop off some kind of controlled substance. She knew all three and told officers Evans and Benjamin hated Burris, and the two referenced "taking him hunting."

"The impression Logan Evans and Luke Benjamin gave (the female) was that they wanted to hunt and shoot Devan Burris," the probable cause affidavit against Benjamin said.

But the incident that led to Burris' death was described by witnesses as a struggle over a possible drug theft. A witness told officers Burris and another male were going to see Benjamin and "going to try to rob him."

"He stated Devan showed him a BB gun before they left the residence," the affidavit said. "He described it as a small black BB gun that had the appearance of a handgun."

Benjamin, according to the affidavit, told police that Burris had sent him a message on Facebook, asking for $100 worth of methamphetamine. Benjamin and Evans met up with Burris and two other males at the church. He said one of the other males then started beating Benjamin with the gun. As Burris tried to drag Benjamin out of the car, Evans then allegedly shot him with a single-shot shotgun.

A male in the Burris car also said there was a struggle before the shot occurred. Burris' two companions got him into the car and took him to the hospital.

On Sunday, detectives spoke with Berry earlier in the day before she made the call at 6:35 p.m. letting officers know she and Evans were going to turn themselves in.

The probable cause affidavit against Evans was sealed in Daviess Superior Court Monday due to an ongoing investigation. Berry was being held on $100,000 bond.

Burris' obituary is on Page A3.