Williams reunion on Sunday
The Nora and Beve Williams family reunion will be held Sunday at Eastside Park Pavilion at noon. Bring picnic lunch, pictures and family history information. Call 254-2646 for more information.
Council to meet Tuesday
The Daviess County Council will meet at 8:15 a.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday in the Commissioners’ Room at the courthouse to discuss and adopt the budget and Business 50 intersection relocation.
Benefit for Rev. Johnson
There will be a golf scramble at Country Oaks on Sept. 7 to benefit Rev. George Johnson. The shotgun start will be at 1 p.m. Entry fee for four man teams is $240. Registration deadline is Sept. 4. There will be hole prizes and cash prizes and a meal will be provided. For more information contact Andrew Johnson at 508-1526 or Renee Johnson at 259-1180.
Rev. Johnson is the pastor at Washington Church of Nazarene. In 2008 he was diagnosed with sarcoma cancer.
This type of cancer grows very large tumors that must be surgically removed. It is highly aggressive and recurring. He has had two surgeries and after the last one complications arose and he spent 36 days in ICU in a medically induced coma. While there, he went into kidney failure and was on dialysis 24/7. He is facing future surgeries, but is recovering at home now.
Food ordering time
Free Methodist Church, 1155 Troy Road, has announced the dates for ordering food from Smart Choice Food South for the month of September:
•Sept. 15, from 10 a.m. to noon;
•Sept. 18, from 10 a.m. to noon.
You may call the church at 254-5440 for a menu. Menus are also available on the church website at www.winfmc.com.
Online ordering is available at www.smartchoicefood.com and closes at 4 p.m. Sept. 18.
Cash or food stamps are accepted for payment. Call the church or Bob Collins, host site director, at 254-8990 for more information.
Customers will be notified of the time and day for pickup.
Bible study in Odon
An eight-week Women’s Community Bible Study will begin at Odon Library. Titled “Facing Your Fears,” sign-up will be at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 12. Studies will begin at 9:30 a.m. Sept. 19 at the library. Contact Mary Woodruff at 687-7617 for more information.
Area Briefs for Friday
Williams reunion on Sunday
- Local News
- Daviess County athletic events postponed Friday All athletic events in Daviess County for Friday have been postponed due to inclement weather. The Evansville Central-Washington, Northeast Dubois-Washington Catholic, Barr-Reeve-Pike Central, Wood Memorial-Loogootee and Shoals-North Daviess boys bas
- Saturday's Police Report CITY REPORT Friday 2:47 a.m. - Police received a report from a resident at 312 N. State Road 57 that an apartment had been broken into and ransacked. Thursday 5:07 p.m. - An employee at Chuckles at 201 N.E. Fifth St. that someone had just pumped $20
- Book fairs help raise literacy rates across the land At Lena Dunn Elementary the annual winter book fair is big deal for more reasons than one. The timing is perfect for families with Christmas just around the corner and getting books into the hands of children is the key to improving literacy not just
- CSX retirees meet at Ponderosa Thirty-two CSX retirees met Dec. 2 at a local restaurant. Mike Cook gave the blessing. Mike Cook, Charles Tomey, Ray Catterton and Howard Detty each won a plate of pumpkin bread baked by Joyce Lee. Sam Myers won a pie from the Ponderosa. Also attendi
- Saturday's Area Briefs Survivor group to meet The Breast Cancer Sharing and Surviving support group will meet from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Specialty Clinic Room 254 at Daviess Community Hospital. Neat Feet clinic next Friday Daviess Community Hospital's Neat F
- Big snow hits Daviess County Road crews and emergency responders continue the effort to try and get out from under the first major snowstorm of the season. The system moved in early Thursday evening with a combination of sleet, freezing rain and ice before switching over to hou
- Rev. E. Ann Embry Rev. E. Ann Embry, 74, of Washington, died Thursday afternoon at Select Specialty Hospital in Evansville. Arrangements are pending at Ed Lee Mortuary. Died Dec. 5, 2013 Rev. E. Ann Embry
Victim identified in Friday shooting
City, county and state police are trying to piece together the events that left one person dead. According to police documents those events began around 2:13 a.m. Friday morning when they received a call of a shooting in the 2200 block of Oak Grove Road
Letter writer: Lane designations would help at intersection
I live near the intersection of U.S. 50 Bypass and SR 257 and saw the aftermath of the latest fatality last month. With a 2-year-old grandson of my own, my heart goes out to that family.
- Area school systems see settlement in lawsuit A $14 million dollar settlement in a lawsuit between the Indiana State Teachers Association and the Secretary of State's office will be putting money into some area school systems. The schools had invested in an ISTA health insurance plan that folded
- More Local News Headlines