City Council to meet
Washington City Council will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday in Council Chambers,
200 Harned Ave. Items included on the agenda: ordinance amending fair housing; 2012 annual report.
The Board of Public Works and Safety will meet immediately following the Council meeting. Items included on the agenda: discussion/approval of permits and claims, permission by WHS band boosters to close street on April 6; award bid for leasing of crop land; open/approve bids for 2013 asphalt paving; discussion/approval of salary/position change in animal control.
Sobriety check point begin
Washington Police Department will deploy a high-visibility crackdown on impaired and dangerous driving known as Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over. The 16-day effort will continue through March 24, encompassing a number of March sporting events and the St. Patrick's Day holiday.
The effort will encompass sobriety checkpoints, saturation patrols and other high visibility enforcement activities in an effort to detect and arrest impaired drivers.
B-R board to meet
Barr-Reeve Community Schools Board of School Trustees will meet in executive session at 11 a.m. Tuesday to discuss security systems and a job performance evaluation.
The open session will begin at 11:30 a.m. Items included on the agenda:
textbook adoption; English teacher recommendation; ECA coach recommendation.
Barr-Reeve Community Schools Board of School Trustees will meet in executive session at 6 p.m. Monday to receive information about prospective employees.
Planning group to meet
Washington Planning Commission will meet at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in Council Chambers, 200 Harned Ave. Items included on the agenda: request to rezone property at 839S 150W to construct a commercial building; discussion of sign codes.
Gospel group to preform
The Whiteland Aires, a southern gospel group, will be performing at Full Gospel Chapel of Washington at 6:30 p.m. Saturday. Immediately following the music there will be a time of fellowship and finger foods will be served.
All are welcome to attend. Full Gospel Chapel is locate on SR 57S, directly across from Jones and Sons Concrete.
- Local News
- Upgrade on safety at bad intersections Next week Daviess County officials are expected to start a series of improvements to four intersections to try to make them safer. One of the intersections has been the location of multiple fatal traffic accidents, two others are near hills and have
- Wednesday's police report CITY REPORT Tuesday 2:06 p.m. - An employee of Walmart, 100 Bypass 50 Plaza, had a woman from Jasper who tried to take $500 worth of merchandise. The female's 2-year-old child was placed in temporary custody and charges will be filed against the fema
- More concerns about property conditions in town Members of the Washington City Council heard public comment on the condition of a property located at the corner of S.E. 11th Street and E. Nat'l Hwy. at their meeting Monday evening. Richard Barker owns property near the rental house in question tha
- Lack of alarm causes concern LOOGOOTEE - Former Loogootee mayor Brian Ader sounded the alarm about the lack of warning sirens during Monday night's meeting of the Loogootee Board of Public Works and Safety. Ader specifically mentioned the violent storms which swept across severa
- A Hatchet highlight of accomplishments The second edition of Hatchet Highlights is slated to begin Thursday. Hatchet Highlights is a evening of showcasing all that Washington High School has to offer its students, and it starts with a free soup dinner in the high school cafeteria and then
- Salvation Army marches through Daviess County The Salvation Army of Daviess County will continue to serve those in need in the community with the help of funds raised by the annual Red Kettle Campaign. All the donations raised in the county stay in the county to support local Salvation Army Serv
- Tuesday's police report CITY REPORT Monday 12:27 p.m. - Adam Vanwinkle, 812 Greenwood St., reported cash was missing. A suspect was named. Sunday 5:30 p.m. - A male caller reported a breaking-and-entering at an apartment at 511 N. Meridian St. Items were reported missing an
- County considers school shooter warning system Daviess County authorities are exploring ways to fund a new system to help police respond more quickly in the event of a shooting at one of its schools. The School Guard system was developed by some Illinois State Troopers and the Daviess County Comm
- This winter will pass... I hope This winter just doesn't seem to want to end; it will be one of those winters that will probably be talked about or compared to for several decades…I hope. Someday younger people will say, "Do you remember the winter of fourteen," instead of 1978. Th
- New attention on sex assaults Youth sexual assault in Indiana is a troubling issue that has not received the attention it deserves. That's about to change, thanks to the persistent efforts of Indianapolis Democrat state Rep. Christina Hale and a willing Legislature. The Indiana H
- More Local News Headlines