City Council to meet
Washington City Council will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday in Council Chambers,
200 Harned Ave. Items included on the agenda: ordinance amending fair housing; 2012 annual report.
The Board of Public Works and Safety will meet immediately following the Council meeting. Items included on the agenda: discussion/approval of permits and claims, permission by WHS band boosters to close street on April 6; award bid for leasing of crop land; open/approve bids for 2013 asphalt paving; discussion/approval of salary/position change in animal control.
Sobriety check point begin
Washington Police Department will deploy a high-visibility crackdown on impaired and dangerous driving known as Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over. The 16-day effort will continue through March 24, encompassing a number of March sporting events and the St. Patrick's Day holiday.
The effort will encompass sobriety checkpoints, saturation patrols and other high visibility enforcement activities in an effort to detect and arrest impaired drivers.
B-R board to meet
Barr-Reeve Community Schools Board of School Trustees will meet in executive session at 11 a.m. Tuesday to discuss security systems and a job performance evaluation.
The open session will begin at 11:30 a.m. Items included on the agenda:
textbook adoption; English teacher recommendation; ECA coach recommendation.
Barr-Reeve Community Schools Board of School Trustees will meet in executive session at 6 p.m. Monday to receive information about prospective employees.
Planning group to meet
Washington Planning Commission will meet at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in Council Chambers, 200 Harned Ave. Items included on the agenda: request to rezone property at 839S 150W to construct a commercial building; discussion of sign codes.
Gospel group to preform
The Whiteland Aires, a southern gospel group, will be performing at Full Gospel Chapel of Washington at 6:30 p.m. Saturday. Immediately following the music there will be a time of fellowship and finger foods will be served.
All are welcome to attend. Full Gospel Chapel is locate on SR 57S, directly across from Jones and Sons Concrete.
- Local News
Man killed in motorcycle crash south of Monroe City
A Vincennes man died in a motorcycle accident on Friday afternoon south of Monroe City.
Property taxes, short term loan discussed at B-R school meeting
MONTGOMERY -- The Barr-Reeve School Board meeting was opened for comments Thursday from school patrons and Lana Helms asked about the increase in the property tax statement that she recently received. Helms said it was about a considerable increase.
- Saturday's police report CITY REPORT Friday 12:57 p.m. - A male caller said he witnessed, while playing golf, a red Jeep strike a sign and a telephone pole at the intersection of Northeast 12th Street and Brett Cabel Road. A stop sign was damaged, but the Jeep was not found.
- Griffith Elementary turns 50 Helen Griffith Elementary is celebrating a milestone as the school turns 50-years old. Earlier this week, current students and staff at the school met on the playground for a photo to commemorate the anniversary. Students sat in the formation of th
- No Headline Provided Taylor Mr. and Mrs. Kenny Taylor will celebrate their 45th wedding anniversary today. Kenny Taylor and Ruth Lengacher were married April 19, 1969. The couple has one daughter, Sheila and Spencer Gingerich of Montgomery, and one son, Mark Taylor of L
- 'Forget the Frock' is a T-shirt with a real message New frilly dresses and tailored suits for Easter have been a tradition for many years, but a relatively new movement across the United States is changing that tradition for some local community members, as well as others across the country. "Forget
- Washington school transportation funding takes another hit The wheels on the buses are still going round and round for the Washington Community Schools, but the funding to keep them rolling all through the town is dwindling. The loss of tax revenue has caused the school board to look into funds other than th
High but not dry
The city of Washington is constructing a 600,000-gallon water tower east of the city. Here's some information supplied by the city on the new tower.
- GOP set for Lincoln-Reagan Day celebration U.S. Sen. Dan Coats will be the featured speaker at the annual Daviess County Republican Lincoln-Reagan dinner. The dinner is set for April 22 at the Padaco event center. "Senator Coats is always a big draw at Lincoln Day dinners across the state and
- Highway of dreams approaching final phase For decades community leaders in southwestern Indiana dreamed of an interstate highway that would connect Indianapolis and Evansville. Now, that project is one contract from becoming a reality. The Indiana Department of Transportation and the Indian
- More Local News Headlines
- Man killed in motorcycle crash south of Monroe City