City Council to meet
Washington City Council will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday in Council Chambers,
200 Harned Ave. Items included on the agenda: ordinance amending fair housing; 2012 annual report.
The Board of Public Works and Safety will meet immediately following the Council meeting. Items included on the agenda: discussion/approval of permits and claims, permission by WHS band boosters to close street on April 6; award bid for leasing of crop land; open/approve bids for 2013 asphalt paving; discussion/approval of salary/position change in animal control.
Sobriety check point begin
Washington Police Department will deploy a high-visibility crackdown on impaired and dangerous driving known as Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over. The 16-day effort will continue through March 24, encompassing a number of March sporting events and the St. Patrick's Day holiday.
The effort will encompass sobriety checkpoints, saturation patrols and other high visibility enforcement activities in an effort to detect and arrest impaired drivers.
B-R board to meet
Barr-Reeve Community Schools Board of School Trustees will meet in executive session at 11 a.m. Tuesday to discuss security systems and a job performance evaluation.
The open session will begin at 11:30 a.m. Items included on the agenda:
textbook adoption; English teacher recommendation; ECA coach recommendation.
Barr-Reeve Community Schools Board of School Trustees will meet in executive session at 6 p.m. Monday to receive information about prospective employees.
Planning group to meet
Washington Planning Commission will meet at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in Council Chambers, 200 Harned Ave. Items included on the agenda: request to rezone property at 839S 150W to construct a commercial building; discussion of sign codes.
Gospel group to preform
The Whiteland Aires, a southern gospel group, will be performing at Full Gospel Chapel of Washington at 6:30 p.m. Saturday. Immediately following the music there will be a time of fellowship and finger foods will be served.
All are welcome to attend. Full Gospel Chapel is locate on SR 57S, directly across from Jones and Sons Concrete.
- Local News
- Gaming revenues rush over the border as Illinois expands virtual slots INDIANAPOLIS – Beer and barbecue aren’t the only draws to Daddy-O’s Bar & Grill in the small town of Paris, Ill., 15 miles from the Indiana border. The prospect of winning pulls in customers, as well. Since the neighborhood bar installed five video g
- New trauma rating for nearby hosptial creates confusion in Daviess County The Indiana State Trauma Care Committee, the State of Indiana Director of Homeland Security and the Indiana EMS Commission has a recognized Good Samaritan Hospital in Vincennes as an "In process" Level III Trauma Center. That new designation combined
- Wednesday's Police Report CITY REPORT Wednesday 1:14 p.m. - John Johnson, 605 S.E. 11th St., reported his van had been vandalized. 10:45 a.m. - Power outages were reported near Oakwood trailer park after a semi trailer struck a pole and took out power lines. Tuesday 5:49 p.m.
- Lena Dunn gearing up for Fall Fiesta Lena Dunn Elementary is gearing up for its second annual Fall Fiesta, a family event that will serve as the chief fundraiser for the school. Last year, school staff, parents and PTO members organized the carnival-style event that will again feature f
- Loogootee reports high ISTEP scores LOOGOOTEE — Loogootee students scored above the state average in 15 of 19 areas during the spring ISTEP tests. So reported curriculum/technology coordinator Mike Tippery to the Loogootee School Board Tuesday night. In four areas, the students test sc
- Horoscope HAPPY BIRTHDAY for Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014This year you could alternate between nurturing and critical. If people start acting a little crazy around you, it might be in direct response to the mixed vibes you’re sending. Try to get some feedback. You
- Road project brings county and Amish community closer A big road project through eastern Daviess County is doing more than just widening a road. "The working relationship between the county and the Amish community these days is really good," said county Highway Superintendent Phil Cornelius. "In fact I'
- Tuesday's police report CITY REPORT Tuesday 10:52 a.m. - An employee of St. Vincent de Paul, 815 E. Main St., reported a box of bullets was found in a drop-off box. The bullets were confiscated. 12:03 a.m. - An employee of McDonald's, 1450 E. Nat'l Hwy., said two people wer
- Seidel, Norton improving after kidney transplant Less than a month ago, Jane Seidel and Nakia Norton were preparing for their lives to be forever changed when Seidel received Norton's kidney, but now, weeks later, the two Washington women never imagined how the community would come together to supp
- Suspect runs from county warrant The Daviess County Sheriff's Department SWAT team was called in for assistance Monday evening in the search for a fugitive. At approximately 4:55 p.m., the SWAT team was assembled to back up and help in the pursuit of Daniel R. Butler, 42, Washington
- More Local News Headlines