Due to a state government error, Washington Township’s Assistance fund is not going up 88 percent in 2013. The state Department of Local Government Finance listed the township’s budget as $143,400 when it should have been $255,000. In 2013, the advertised budget for township assistance is 270,000, making it a $25,000 increase, not over $120,000.
We apologize for the misunderstanding.
Gov. candidates to be on WVUT
The candidates for governor of Indiana will appear separately in back-to-back conversations that will be broadcast on WVUT/TV Saturday at 8 p.m., and again Sunday at 4 p.m.
Guests on the program include Indiana’s gubernatorial candidates: Libertarian Rupert Boneham, Democrat John Gregg and Republican Mike Pence. They will discuss key Indiana issues with retired Indiana Chief Justice Randall T. Shepard.
The program was recorded Aug. 21 as part of the 2012 Indiana University Public Policy Choices for Indiana’s Future Gubernatorial Forum.
Compassionate Friends to meet
The Compassionate Friends will hold their monthly meeting from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday at the Daviess Community Hospital, 1314 E. Walnut Street, Washington. You may enter through the main entrance of the hospital.
There will be greeters to direct you to the assigned room. This month’s topic is “Vacationing Without Your Child.”
For more information, call 254-3108.
WHS cheerleaders to hold car wash
The Washington High School cheerleaders will have a car wash on Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Advance Auto, 1251 E. National Hwy.
Solid Waste board to meet
The Daviess County Solid Waste District Board will meet at 8:30 a.m. Monday in the Commissioners’ Room of the courthouse.
Items on the agenda include approval of prior meetings minutes and approval of claims. Comments from the public will be sought.
Redevelopment Comm. to meet
The Daviess County Redevelopment Commission will hold a meeting at 8:45 a.m. Monday in the Commissioners’ Room at the courthouse.
Commissioners to meet Monday
The Daviess County Commissioners will meet at 9 a.m. Monday in the Commissioners’ Room at the courthouse. Items on the agenda include Indiana Southern Railroad and information from the Indiana Department of Environmental Management and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
City Council meets Monday
The Washington City Council will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday in Council Chambers, 200 Harned Ave. Items included on the agenda: ordinances amending general penalty provision and water rates and charges of the Code of Ordinances; ordinances fixing compensation of officers, employees, firemen and policemen of the city and salaries of elected officials.
The Board of Public Works and Safety will meet immediately following the council meeting to discuss/approve a contract for WebQA CRM and workflow software service and new dispatch software for the police department.
B-R School Board to meet Monday
Barr-Reeve Community Schools Board of School Trustees will meet in executive session at 7 p.m. to discuss collective bargaining and a job performance evaluation.
The regular session will be at 8 p.m. Items included on the agenda: recommendation to adopt 2012 school budget, capital projects plan and school bus replacement plan; professional development request; recommendation to approve annual improvement plans.
Area Briefs for Friday
- Local News
Evans charged with murder in Burris shooting
Three Washington teenagers were charged in the shooting death of Devan Burris, 17, on Friday. Logan Dale Evans, 18, 312 Cable Ave., was arrested by city police as he and friend Heaven Berry, 18, turned themselves in on Sunday evening at Berry's apart
Shooting plays out on social media
The shooting of teenager Devan Burris has stirred emotions in family members of the young man and by those in connection with allegedly killing him. Burris, 17, was a soon-to-be father and girlfriend Kelly Fisher remembered him as a kind-hearted youn
- Daviess County athletic events postponed Friday All athletic events in Daviess County for Friday have been postponed due to inclement weather. The Evansville Central-Washington, Northeast Dubois-Washington Catholic, Barr-Reeve-Pike Central, Wood Memorial-Loogootee and Shoals-North Daviess boys bas
- Saturday's Police Report CITY REPORT Friday 2:47 a.m. - Police received a report from a resident at 312 N. State Road 57 that an apartment had been broken into and ransacked. Thursday 5:07 p.m. - An employee at Chuckles at 201 N.E. Fifth St. that someone had just pumped $20
- Book fairs help raise literacy rates across the land At Lena Dunn Elementary the annual winter book fair is big deal for more reasons than one. The timing is perfect for families with Christmas just around the corner and getting books into the hands of children is the key to improving literacy not just
- CSX retirees meet at Ponderosa Thirty-two CSX retirees met Dec. 2 at a local restaurant. Mike Cook gave the blessing. Mike Cook, Charles Tomey, Ray Catterton and Howard Detty each won a plate of pumpkin bread baked by Joyce Lee. Sam Myers won a pie from the Ponderosa. Also attendi
- Saturday's Area Briefs Survivor group to meet The Breast Cancer Sharing and Surviving support group will meet from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Specialty Clinic Room 254 at Daviess Community Hospital. Neat Feet clinic next Friday Daviess Community Hospital's Neat F
- Big snow hits Daviess County Road crews and emergency responders continue the effort to try and get out from under the first major snowstorm of the season. The system moved in early Thursday evening with a combination of sleet, freezing rain and ice before switching over to hou
- Rev. E. Ann Embry Rev. E. Ann Embry, 74, of Washington, died Thursday afternoon at Select Specialty Hospital in Evansville. Arrangements are pending at Ed Lee Mortuary. Died Dec. 5, 2013 Rev. E. Ann Embry
Victim identified in Friday shooting
City, county and state police are trying to piece together the events that left one person dead. According to police documents those events began around 2:13 a.m. Friday morning when they received a call of a shooting in the 2200 block of Oak Grove Road
- More Local News Headlines
- Evans charged with murder in Burris shooting