The Washington Times-Herald

November 28, 2012

VU student alleged to have made bomb threats

By Andrea McCann
Washington Times Herald

VINCENNES —

Criminal charges may be pending against a Vincennes University student who sent three bomb threats to departmental offices at the university this fall.

Randall T. Nichols, 24, of Sullivan, was identified as the author of the threats, which were sent by email. According to VU Director of Public Information Duane Chattin, Nichols sent the bomb threats on Sept. 19, Sept. 26 and Oct. 9, and there was an emergency response each time, but nothing was found. 
An investigation by the university police, assisted by other agencies, had been ongoing since the first threat was received. In a Nov. 19 statement to VU Police, Nichols admitted to sending the threatening emails. 
“Vincennes University takes these kinds of threats seriously and responds to them with intensive investigation in the interest of protecting the university community,” VU President Dick Helton said in a statement. “I want to thank the university police department and assisting agencies that helped solve this case.”
Chattin said the university will take action, but that’s oftentimes done in conjunction with the legal process, which is in the initial stages. Nichols’ case was referred to the Knox County Prosecutor’s Office for possible filing of charges. 
“I don’t know what the prosecutor will choose to charge him with,” Chattin said. “I think there will be charges.”
At this time, no charges have been filed by federal authorities.