Bloomfield won the Loogootee Tennis Invitational Saturday, defeating Pike Central, 3-2, in the championship match.
In the opening round, Barr-Reeve defeated Loogootee, 5-0.
Allison Hoover defeated Emily Bateman, 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (4), Melody Rohrer defeated Erin Nelson, 6-1, 6-0 and Emily Lee topped Tara Pennington, 6-2, 6-1.
In doubles, Hania Sisco-Destiny Kidwell defeated Paige Schaefer-Hannah Walters, 6-0, 6-1 and Kaitlin Swartzentruber-Baleigh Miller defeated Michala Beasley-Emma Walters in straight 6-1 sets.
Pike Central defeated North Daviess, 5-0, in the second round.
In singles, Emily Hoes defeated Taylor Jeffers, 6-3, 6-0, Hope Waltz defeated Alison Beasley, 6-1, 6-2 and Aspen Childress defeated Cari Jo Wilson, 6-4, 6-2.
Doubles wins went to Kerrsten Miller-Kenna Longabaugh over Madison Reed-Nicole Woodruff, 6-1, 6-3 and Cayla Mahoney-Chloe Keepes over Brytni Bray-Cailin Chestnut, 6-0, 7-6 (6).
Bloomfield also defeated Barr-Reeve, 3-2.
Bloomfield won all three singles matches with Kari Schulte defeating Hoover 6-1, 6-4, Liza Bartlett topping Rohrer, 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (3) and Elena Weddle defeating Knepp, 6-3, 6-0.
Both doubles matches were won by Barr-Reeve with Sisco-Kidwell defeating Amanda Livingston-Emily Bucher, 6-0, 6-1 and Swartzentruber-Miller defeating Morgan Judy-Katelyn Van Sant, 6-2, 6-1.
North Daviess defeated Loogootee in the consolation round, 3-2.
Bateman (L) defeated Jeffers, 7-6 (5), 6-3, Wilson (ND) defeated Nelson, 6-2, 6-3 and Michael Sprinkle (ND) defeated Shayna Stuffle, 6-4, 6-3.
In doubles, Reed-Woodruff (ND) topped Beasley-Schaefer, 4-6, 7-6 (3), 1-0
(5) and Walters-Pennington (L) defeated Bray-Chestnut, 6-3, 6-4.
Barr-Reeve's Sisco-Kidwell and Swartzentruber-Miller were medalists in doubles. Bloomfield¹s Schulte, Barrtlett and Weddle were named in singles.
Brown 2nd at Paoli Invite
PAOLI - Chelsey Brown placed second and Washington tied for third in the Paoli Tennis Invitational Saturday.
Brown placed second at second singles by splitting 7-5. 6-4 and 1-6, 1-6 decisions.
Britney Pierson and Audrey Rogers placed third at first and third singles respectively by splitting 6-3, 6-1 and straight 0-6 sets and straight 1-6 and 6-0 6-1 sets.
Amber Showalter and Megan Arnold placed third at second doubles by winning 3-6, 6-3 (10-7). Audra Stallman and Kayla Mercer placed fourth losing 6-0,
7-5 and 6-1, 6-0.
"Overall, I thought the girls played pretty well against some good team," coach Kevin Stallman said. "I am looking forward to seeing how this group improves in the coming weeks." Wildcats blank Washington Mount Vernon blanked Washington, 7-0, in Big 8 Conference softball game at the Sports Complex Saturday.
Mount Vernon scored single runs in the first, third and sixth innings before scoring four in the seventh.
Alexis Lemon had a double and single for Washington. Mattie Graber and Carrie Lane each had singles.
Mount Vernon had eight hits against Lemon. The Hatchets made six errors.
- Local Sports
- Area Baseball Statistics AREA BASEBALL STATS BATTING (Minumum 15 at-bats) BATTING AVERAGE A.J Graber (B-R) .423 C. Miller (LHS) .386 H. Bell (LHS) .381 L. James (B-R) .348 L. Bell (LHS) .321 A. Wittmer (ND) .320 L. Graber (B-R) .318 N. Gingerich (ND) .310 J. Blackwell (LHS)
- BNL downs Washington, 11-1 The Washington softball team lost another game Tuesday night, but coach Bret Graber sees signs of improvement that could pay dividends down the road. The Hatchets have yet to win a game this season, and to an outside observer, the 11-1 loss to Bedfo
- ND downs B-R 6-2 MONTGOMERY - The Lady Cougars scored four runs in the top of the third inning and that was enough for the victory as they went on to beat Barr-Reeve, 6-2 on Saturday. Molly Wallace started on the mound for the Vikings and took the loss, as she gave
- Loogootee defeats Washington, 16-6 LOOGOOTEE -- In the game of softball, a good offensive attack doesn't always mean the number of hits you can record, but rather the patience you can show at the plate. Loogootee used a big second inning to defeat Washington 16-6 in six innings due i
- Friday's Sports Briefs Hatchets beat Lions LOOGOOTEE -- The Washington girls tennis team defeated Loogootee 3-2 Thursday afternoon. Loogootee won the first two singles matches with Emily Bateman defeating Chelsee Brown 6-7 (3), 6-2, 6-4 and Erin Nelson defeating Audrey Rog
- Hatchets get first win over Loogootee LOOGOOTEE -- The Loogootee baseball team had its chance to get back to .500 and pick up its fifth win of the season, but instead the visiting Washington Hatchets flipped the script to get their first win of the season. The Hatchets (1-4) scored four
- Sports Briefs Vikings beat Cardinals MONTGOMERY -- The Barr-Reeve girls tennis team defeated Washington Catholic, 5-0. Allison Hoover beat Macy Kane at No. 1 singles (6-2, 6-0), Melody Rohrer beat Claire Burch at No. 2 singles (6-0, 6-1) and at No. 3 singles, Beth
- Area girls tennis teams strive for sectional championship Spring is here and that means we have traded snow showers for almost daily thunderstorms, but the temperatures have warmed up and the girls tennis season is in full swing. Washington, Washington Catholic, North Daviess, Loogootee and Barr-Reeve all f
- Hughes named District 3 Coach of the Year Bryan Hughes has been coaching basketball for more than half of his life, he's received numerous accolades for his team's success, but one award in particular still brings him great pride. For the third time, Barr-Reeve's Bryan Hughes has been named
Area Athletic Postponements
All Barr-Reeve and Washington athletic events for Tuesday were postponed due to inclement weather. Loogootee track and junior varsity baseball were also postponed. North Daviess baseball, girls tennis and boys golf still will go on as planned.
- More Local Sports Headlines