Bloomfield won the Loogootee Tennis Invitational Saturday, defeating Pike Central, 3-2, in the championship match.
In the opening round, Barr-Reeve defeated Loogootee, 5-0.
Allison Hoover defeated Emily Bateman, 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (4), Melody Rohrer defeated Erin Nelson, 6-1, 6-0 and Emily Lee topped Tara Pennington, 6-2, 6-1.
In doubles, Hania Sisco-Destiny Kidwell defeated Paige Schaefer-Hannah Walters, 6-0, 6-1 and Kaitlin Swartzentruber-Baleigh Miller defeated Michala Beasley-Emma Walters in straight 6-1 sets.
Pike Central defeated North Daviess, 5-0, in the second round.
In singles, Emily Hoes defeated Taylor Jeffers, 6-3, 6-0, Hope Waltz defeated Alison Beasley, 6-1, 6-2 and Aspen Childress defeated Cari Jo Wilson, 6-4, 6-2.
Doubles wins went to Kerrsten Miller-Kenna Longabaugh over Madison Reed-Nicole Woodruff, 6-1, 6-3 and Cayla Mahoney-Chloe Keepes over Brytni Bray-Cailin Chestnut, 6-0, 7-6 (6).
Bloomfield also defeated Barr-Reeve, 3-2.
Bloomfield won all three singles matches with Kari Schulte defeating Hoover 6-1, 6-4, Liza Bartlett topping Rohrer, 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (3) and Elena Weddle defeating Knepp, 6-3, 6-0.
Both doubles matches were won by Barr-Reeve with Sisco-Kidwell defeating Amanda Livingston-Emily Bucher, 6-0, 6-1 and Swartzentruber-Miller defeating Morgan Judy-Katelyn Van Sant, 6-2, 6-1.
North Daviess defeated Loogootee in the consolation round, 3-2.
Bateman (L) defeated Jeffers, 7-6 (5), 6-3, Wilson (ND) defeated Nelson, 6-2, 6-3 and Michael Sprinkle (ND) defeated Shayna Stuffle, 6-4, 6-3.
In doubles, Reed-Woodruff (ND) topped Beasley-Schaefer, 4-6, 7-6 (3), 1-0
(5) and Walters-Pennington (L) defeated Bray-Chestnut, 6-3, 6-4.
Barr-Reeve's Sisco-Kidwell and Swartzentruber-Miller were medalists in doubles. Bloomfield¹s Schulte, Barrtlett and Weddle were named in singles.
Brown 2nd at Paoli Invite
PAOLI - Chelsey Brown placed second and Washington tied for third in the Paoli Tennis Invitational Saturday.
Brown placed second at second singles by splitting 7-5. 6-4 and 1-6, 1-6 decisions.
Britney Pierson and Audrey Rogers placed third at first and third singles respectively by splitting 6-3, 6-1 and straight 0-6 sets and straight 1-6 and 6-0 6-1 sets.
Amber Showalter and Megan Arnold placed third at second doubles by winning 3-6, 6-3 (10-7). Audra Stallman and Kayla Mercer placed fourth losing 6-0,
7-5 and 6-1, 6-0.
"Overall, I thought the girls played pretty well against some good team," coach Kevin Stallman said. "I am looking forward to seeing how this group improves in the coming weeks." Wildcats blank Washington Mount Vernon blanked Washington, 7-0, in Big 8 Conference softball game at the Sports Complex Saturday.
Mount Vernon scored single runs in the first, third and sixth innings before scoring four in the seventh.
Alexis Lemon had a double and single for Washington. Mattie Graber and Carrie Lane each had singles.
Mount Vernon had eight hits against Lemon. The Hatchets made six errors.
- Local Sports
- Hughes named District 3 Coach of the Year Bryan Hughes has been coaching basketball for more than half of his life, he's received numerous accolades for his team's success, but one award in particular still brings him great pride. For the third time, Barr-Reeve's Bryan Hughes has been named
Area Athletic Postponements
All Barr-Reeve and Washington athletic events for Tuesday were postponed due to inclement weather. Loogootee track and junior varsity baseball were also postponed. North Daviess baseball, girls tennis and boys golf still will go on as planned.
- WHS 4th at Vincennes Invitational VINCENNES -- The Hatchets finished with one of their top performances in several years Saturday in the Vincennes Invitational. Their team score of 327 was good for an overall finish in fourth place in the 18-team event. Tournament favorite Vincennes
- Nolley tosses 2nd straight no hitter in win LOOGOOTEE -- Over the first six games to start the baseball season, Loogootee (3-3) has struggled with consistency from its pitching staff. The lone exception would be southpaw Gabe Nolley. Nolley threw his second straight no hitter during Thursday
- Barr-Reeve wins opener at WHS Barr-Reeve was rusty in the field and at the plate, but Lucas Graber took care of the rest. The Vikings (1-0) defeated Washington (0-1) Wednesday night at the Sports Complex behind a complete game shut out from Graber. The Vikings and Hatchets ente
Lions drop Blue Chip opener to Warriors
LOOGOOTEE -- As the old adage goes, "momentum is the next day's starting pitcher." After two lopsided wins over the weekend, the Loogootee baseball team learned that didn't guarantee anything in week two of the regular season.
- ND looks to take step forward in 2014 ELNORA -- The last two season's have ended for the North Daviess baseball team in similar fashion -- a close loss to a talented team in the sectional. In 2012 it was Loogootee and last year it was Barr-Reeve, both games were decided by a combined fou
- Cougars ready for new season ELNORA -- Entering last year's sectional at North Daviess, the Cougar softball team was the prohibitive favorite after one of the best regular seasons in recent memory. North Daviess was upset in the first round by Barr-Reeve on its own field and the
- Loogootee starts new chapter with Woolems LOOGOOTEE -- A year ago at this time, Loogootee was thinking the potential of playing for a state championship in Indianapolis, but Sectional 63 turned out to be unforgiving to the Lions lofty aspirations. At the start of the 2014 season, Loogootee h
- Barr-Reeve ready to defend sectional crown Barr-Reeve ready to defend sectional crown By Lou Kavanaugh Times Herald
- More Local Sports Headlines