Well-oiled, efficient and balanced.
Undefeated Barr-Reeve scored the first 12 points of the game and never was challenged in a 69-24 win against South Knox in the opening round of the Graber Post Buildings Tournament at North Daviess Friday.
The 8-0 Vikings scored off the opening tip and ran away from their conference rivals.
"You've got to love the start," Barr-Reeve coach Bryan Hughes said. "You start a basketball game like we started - what can I say - it was 10-0 just that quick. We were ready to play. I don¹t know what else to say." The game marked the first meeting between Hughes and former Barr-Reeve player Mark Rohrer.
The Vikings took most of the drama away from the game from that opening tip that ended in the first basket for Addison Wagler who paced Barr-Reeve with 17 points.
Viking starters Logan James, Micah Bullock, Jacob Bledsoe and Brandon Wagler all shared in the 12-0 run. James and Wagler hit back-to-back 3-pointers to complete the 12-0 start.
The Vikings led 18-4 at the end of the opening quarter, with Andrew Scott scoring a basket and Isiah Stafford hitting two free throws for South Knox¹s four points.
South Knox hit 1-10 from the field in the opening quarter, including 0-5 from behind the arc.
Meanwhile, Barr-Reeve made 8-12, including the two 3-pointers in three attempts.
The second quarter was much of the same as the Vikings got the first nine points for a 26-4 lead with 5:27 remaining in the half. Myron Stoll got the Vikings going with two field goals to start the quarter.
The half ended with Barr-Reeve safely on top, 40-14. All 14 Viking players made appearance before the end of the game that saw Barr-Reeve leading 56-19 at the end of the third.
"Give the kids credit," Hughes said. "We had a lot of guys play. After being off a couple of days, we had to play." While Addison Wagler got his 17 points in the first three quarters, Brandon Wagler and James each added 10. Stoll finished with seven as did Bullock.
Bledsoe scored six.
"Although we have what I would consider our main players, some of these other can kids play," Hughes said. "I just like the opportunities we have with the different combinations we can play." The win places Barr-Reeve in tonight's 6 p.m. game against Class 3A No. 5 Brownstown Central. The Bulldogs were trailing Forest Park in the third quarter before finishing a 58-40 win over the Rangers. The Bulldogs are the defending tournament champions, defeating Barr-Reeve in the 2011 championship game, 45-40. The Bulldogs have won two of the past three tournaments.
"Brownstown is a team that we have never beat in this tournament," Hughes said of the second round match.
"They (Brownstown) didn¹t look good early, but you could see what they are all about in the blink of an eye." Orleans topped North Posey, 61-55, in the tournament opener. North Daviess and Clay City completed the tournament¹s first round.
North Posey opens the tournament today at 3 p.m. against the Eels. Forest Park meets South Knox at 4:30 with Brownstown Central and Barr-Reeve playing at 6 p.m. Orelans awaits either Clay City or North Daviess at 7:30 p.m.
Nick Burke led South Knox with five points. Stafford and Grant Gardner scored four each.
"Brownstown is very, very good," Hughes said. "People that saw them for the first time didn¹t see the real Brownstown Central. We're going to have be ready. It¹s going to be physical, but I like our guys."
Well-oiled, efficient and balanced.
- Local Sports
- Hughes named District 3 Coach of the Year Bryan Hughes has been coaching basketball for more than half of his life, he's received numerous accolades for his team's success, but one award in particular still brings him great pride. For the third time, Barr-Reeve's Bryan Hughes has been named
Area Athletic Postponements
All Barr-Reeve and Washington athletic events for Tuesday were postponed due to inclement weather. Loogootee track and junior varsity baseball were also postponed. North Daviess baseball, girls tennis and boys golf still will go on as planned.
- WHS 4th at Vincennes Invitational VINCENNES -- The Hatchets finished with one of their top performances in several years Saturday in the Vincennes Invitational. Their team score of 327 was good for an overall finish in fourth place in the 18-team event. Tournament favorite Vincennes
- Nolley tosses 2nd straight no hitter in win LOOGOOTEE -- Over the first six games to start the baseball season, Loogootee (3-3) has struggled with consistency from its pitching staff. The lone exception would be southpaw Gabe Nolley. Nolley threw his second straight no hitter during Thursday
- Barr-Reeve wins opener at WHS Barr-Reeve was rusty in the field and at the plate, but Lucas Graber took care of the rest. The Vikings (1-0) defeated Washington (0-1) Wednesday night at the Sports Complex behind a complete game shut out from Graber. The Vikings and Hatchets ente
Lions drop Blue Chip opener to Warriors
LOOGOOTEE -- As the old adage goes, "momentum is the next day's starting pitcher." After two lopsided wins over the weekend, the Loogootee baseball team learned that didn't guarantee anything in week two of the regular season.
- ND looks to take step forward in 2014 ELNORA -- The last two season's have ended for the North Daviess baseball team in similar fashion -- a close loss to a talented team in the sectional. In 2012 it was Loogootee and last year it was Barr-Reeve, both games were decided by a combined fou
- Cougars ready for new season ELNORA -- Entering last year's sectional at North Daviess, the Cougar softball team was the prohibitive favorite after one of the best regular seasons in recent memory. North Daviess was upset in the first round by Barr-Reeve on its own field and the
- Loogootee starts new chapter with Woolems LOOGOOTEE -- A year ago at this time, Loogootee was thinking the potential of playing for a state championship in Indianapolis, but Sectional 63 turned out to be unforgiving to the Lions lofty aspirations. At the start of the 2014 season, Loogootee h
- Barr-Reeve ready to defend sectional crown Barr-Reeve ready to defend sectional crown By Lou Kavanaugh Times Herald
- More Local Sports Headlines