Office open for taxes
Daviess County Treasurer Elaine Wellman has announced that the office will be open from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday for the convenience of taxpayers. The north (back) door of the courthouse will be open.
The first installment of taxes is due no later than May 10. Payments postmarked after that date will incur a penalty.
Because some mail deposited late on May 10 might not be postmarked until the next day, taxpayers are urged to mail early.
Regular office hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Hart to speak at Odon
Ruth Hart of Newberry will be at the Odon Winklepleck Public Library on May 13 at 6:30 p.m. to share her experiences visiting her daughter in Kuwait.
All are invited to the library basement community room to learn about this fascinating country visited by few from the area.
Sponsorship for the event is by the community Bible study group which meets at the library.
Howard to sign books
Local author Carolyn Howard will be signing copies of her novel “Blood of My Ancestor” and sharing pictures from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Martin County Historical Society, 220 Capital Street, Shoals.
Purple Heart ceremony
Sgt. Bradley Ausbrook will be presented a Purple Heart medal at the Daviess County Courthouse, 200 E. Walnut St., at 10 a.m. Thursday.
Loogootee board meeting
Loogootee Community School Corporation Board of School Trustees will meet in executive session at 5:30 p.m. Thursday to receive information about prospective employees.
Plant sale at North Daviess
The North Daviess Agriculture Department will have its annual plant sale on Thursday, May 7, 9 and 13 from noon until 4:30 p.m. at the North Daviess greenhouse, located behind the high school on the northeast side. Profits are used for scholarships and materials for next year’s horticulture classes. There will be a wide variety of different plants for sale. Contact the department at 636-8000 Ext. 3128 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
FFA chicken dinner
The North Daviess FFA will have its 45th annual chicken barbecue on Saturday in Plainville by the post office. Chicken will be ready starting at 11 a.m. until sold out. Turkey strips will also be available. Proceeds will be used for the FFA to attend the State Convention
Office open for taxes
- Local Sports
- Vikings rout Warriors, 11-1 MONTGOMERY -- It's a simplistic approach, but baseball isn't rocket science. Hit the ball, catch the ball and throw the ball. Wednesday night that approach proved successful for Class A No. 11 Barr-Reeve (7-2) in the Vikings' 11-0 five inning win ov
- Area Baseball Statistics AREA BASEBALL STATS BATTING (Minumum 15 at-bats) BATTING AVERAGE A.J Graber (B-R) .423 C. Miller (LHS) .386 H. Bell (LHS) .381 L. James (B-R) .348 L. Bell (LHS) .321 A. Wittmer (ND) .320 L. Graber (B-R) .318 N. Gingerich (ND) .310 J. Blackwell (LHS)
- BNL downs Washington, 11-1 The Washington softball team lost another game Tuesday night, but coach Bret Graber sees signs of improvement that could pay dividends down the road. The Hatchets have yet to win a game this season, and to an outside observer, the 11-1 loss to Bedfo
- ND downs B-R 6-2 MONTGOMERY - The Lady Cougars scored four runs in the top of the third inning and that was enough for the victory as they went on to beat Barr-Reeve, 6-2 on Saturday. Molly Wallace started on the mound for the Vikings and took the loss, as she gave
- Loogootee defeats Washington, 16-6 LOOGOOTEE -- In the game of softball, a good offensive attack doesn't always mean the number of hits you can record, but rather the patience you can show at the plate. Loogootee used a big second inning to defeat Washington 16-6 in six innings due i
- Friday's Sports Briefs Hatchets beat Lions LOOGOOTEE -- The Washington girls tennis team defeated Loogootee 3-2 Thursday afternoon. Loogootee won the first two singles matches with Emily Bateman defeating Chelsee Brown 6-7 (3), 6-2, 6-4 and Erin Nelson defeating Audrey Rog
- Hatchets get first win over Loogootee LOOGOOTEE -- The Loogootee baseball team had its chance to get back to .500 and pick up its fifth win of the season, but instead the visiting Washington Hatchets flipped the script to get their first win of the season. The Hatchets (1-4) scored four
- Sports Briefs Vikings beat Cardinals MONTGOMERY -- The Barr-Reeve girls tennis team defeated Washington Catholic, 5-0. Allison Hoover beat Macy Kane at No. 1 singles (6-2, 6-0), Melody Rohrer beat Claire Burch at No. 2 singles (6-0, 6-1) and at No. 3 singles, Beth
- Area girls tennis teams strive for sectional championship Spring is here and that means we have traded snow showers for almost daily thunderstorms, but the temperatures have warmed up and the girls tennis season is in full swing. Washington, Washington Catholic, North Daviess, Loogootee and Barr-Reeve all f
- Hughes named District 3 Coach of the Year Bryan Hughes has been coaching basketball for more than half of his life, he's received numerous accolades for his team's success, but one award in particular still brings him great pride. For the third time, Barr-Reeve's Bryan Hughes has been named
- More Local Sports Headlines