Office open for taxes
Daviess County Treasurer Elaine Wellman has announced that the office will be open from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday for the convenience of taxpayers. The north (back) door of the courthouse will be open.
The first installment of taxes is due no later than May 10. Payments postmarked after that date will incur a penalty.
Because some mail deposited late on May 10 might not be postmarked until the next day, taxpayers are urged to mail early.
Regular office hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Hart to speak at Odon
Ruth Hart of Newberry will be at the Odon Winklepleck Public Library on May 13 at 6:30 p.m. to share her experiences visiting her daughter in Kuwait.
All are invited to the library basement community room to learn about this fascinating country visited by few from the area.
Sponsorship for the event is by the community Bible study group which meets at the library.
Howard to sign books
Local author Carolyn Howard will be signing copies of her novel “Blood of My Ancestor” and sharing pictures from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Martin County Historical Society, 220 Capital Street, Shoals.
Purple Heart ceremony
Sgt. Bradley Ausbrook will be presented a Purple Heart medal at the Daviess County Courthouse, 200 E. Walnut St., at 10 a.m. Thursday.
Loogootee board meeting
Loogootee Community School Corporation Board of School Trustees will meet in executive session at 5:30 p.m. Thursday to receive information about prospective employees.
Plant sale at North Daviess
The North Daviess Agriculture Department will have its annual plant sale on Thursday, May 7, 9 and 13 from noon until 4:30 p.m. at the North Daviess greenhouse, located behind the high school on the northeast side. Profits are used for scholarships and materials for next year’s horticulture classes. There will be a wide variety of different plants for sale. Contact the department at 636-8000 Ext. 3128 or email at email@example.com for any questions.
FFA chicken dinner
The North Daviess FFA will have its 45th annual chicken barbecue on Saturday in Plainville by the post office. Chicken will be ready starting at 11 a.m. until sold out. Turkey strips will also be available. Proceeds will be used for the FFA to attend the State Convention
Office open for taxes
- Local Sports
- Luck still learning in Year 3 ANDERSON — Wind chill estimates put the temperature at 59 degrees Monday morning at Anderson University.During one stretch of his fifth training camp practice of the year, however, it likely felt much colder to Andrew Luck.The Indianapolis Colts quar
- Sports Briefs Par 3 Tournament ResultsMike and Ellen McKittrich were the first place gross winners of the Par 3 Tournament Sunday at Washington Country Club with a 54. Mark Smith-Susan Chambers and Nate and Blythe Wildridge followed with a 55. Pat and Joanne Bahr
- Blu-Chip takes over Complex The Washington Sports Complex played host to the 3rd Annual Blu-Chip 3v3 tournament, which is in memory of Zach Blubaum and Derek Arvin. The tourney was the largest of the three that have been played and helps to raise funds for the Derek Arvin Schol
- Better police needed for college teams enticed to cheat Cheating has been part of college athletics probably for as long as people have bothered to keep score.Sometimes it could be as simple as a C-note handshake or a little cash slipped into a player’s socks outside his locker with a note telling him to
- Blu Chip ready for its third year Time is supposed to heal all wounds, but of course, that isn’t the case. Some tragedies are so severe that the healing process might never be complete, but rather a daily reminder of what has been lost. Whether it is a bumper sticker on a car, a funn
- Colts' 'monster' now preparing to 'hunt' ANDERSON — There’s a different kind of buzz surrounding the Indianapolis Colts as they prepare to report for training camp today at Anderson University.Expectations have been high inside the locker room since Chuck Pagano arrived in January 2012 and
- Sports Briefs WHS PhysicalsWashington High School athletic office would like to announce Physical Examinations for athletes will be held at Dr. Cullen’s office on Tuesday July 29, 9 am to 3 pm. All Washington athletes may use this service including High School, Ju
- Barr-Reeve hands out Spring Awards MONTGOMERY — After the Fall and Winter sports seasons included a team reaching the state championship, Barr-Reeve’s final sport season had some catching up to do. Spring didn’t result in any state championship apperances, but it did see the Vikings c
- Posturing, predictions fly as SEC turns to a new season There’s plenty to enjoy about the Southeastern Conference’s annual cattle call in Hoover, Ala., where media of every description join players and coaches from each of the league’s 14 football teams to discuss the coming season. The best aspect is tha
- Webster to compete at Gymnastics Championships LOUISVILLE — More than 1,600 of the nation’s top gymnasts in acrobatic gymnastics, rhythmic gymnastics and trampoline/tumbling will be in Louisville, this week for the 2014 USA Gymnastics Championships. Madi Webster of Odon, who just placed third in
- More Local Sports Headlines