Office open for taxes
Daviess County Treasurer Elaine Wellman has announced that the office will be open from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday for the convenience of taxpayers. The north (back) door of the courthouse will be open.
The first installment of taxes is due no later than May 10. Payments postmarked after that date will incur a penalty.
Because some mail deposited late on May 10 might not be postmarked until the next day, taxpayers are urged to mail early.
Regular office hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Hart to speak at Odon
Ruth Hart of Newberry will be at the Odon Winklepleck Public Library on May 13 at 6:30 p.m. to share her experiences visiting her daughter in Kuwait.
All are invited to the library basement community room to learn about this fascinating country visited by few from the area.
Sponsorship for the event is by the community Bible study group which meets at the library.
Howard to sign books
Local author Carolyn Howard will be signing copies of her novel “Blood of My Ancestor” and sharing pictures from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Martin County Historical Society, 220 Capital Street, Shoals.
Purple Heart ceremony
Sgt. Bradley Ausbrook will be presented a Purple Heart medal at the Daviess County Courthouse, 200 E. Walnut St., at 10 a.m. Thursday.
Loogootee board meeting
Loogootee Community School Corporation Board of School Trustees will meet in executive session at 5:30 p.m. Thursday to receive information about prospective employees.
Plant sale at North Daviess
The North Daviess Agriculture Department will have its annual plant sale on Thursday, May 7, 9 and 13 from noon until 4:30 p.m. at the North Daviess greenhouse, located behind the high school on the northeast side. Profits are used for scholarships and materials for next year’s horticulture classes. There will be a wide variety of different plants for sale. Contact the department at 636-8000 Ext. 3128 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
FFA chicken dinner
The North Daviess FFA will have its 45th annual chicken barbecue on Saturday in Plainville by the post office. Chicken will be ready starting at 11 a.m. until sold out. Turkey strips will also be available. Proceeds will be used for the FFA to attend the State Convention
Office open for taxes
- Local Sports
- Time to seed the state tournament The Indiana boys basketball state tournament got underway Tuesday night as the most exciting month in high school began. As the old saying goes, "In 49 other states, it's just basketball, but this is Indiana." With that in mind, the IHSAA needs to ta
- Sports Briefs Washington Wrestling Sign ups Sign ups for wrestling will be this Friday and Monday at Lena Dunn Elementary School from 5-7 p.m. Wrestling will begin March 11 at Lena Dunn at 6 pm. Cost is $25. Any questions, contact coach John Thompson at 812-766-91
- WHS upsets No. 11 Southridge HUNTINGBURG -- It's an old adage in sports that once the postseason begins, all teams start over with 0-0 records. That adage turned into a prophecy for the Washington Hatchets on Wednesday at Southridge. Washington cooled off the hot host Raiders, e
- Hunsinger, Jones named All-Big 8 Two Washington Lady Hatchet basketball players were named All-Big 8 recently. Hatchet senior Ally Hunsinger and junior Cheyenne Jones were both named to the squad. "This conference team is loaded with talent. Ally and Cheyenne are very deserving of t
- Vikings take down Cougars in sectional opener, 55-42 ELNORA -- Barr-Reeve had a target on its back all season and with the postseason starting, that target got even bigger Tuesday night. The Class A No. 1 Vikings (21-1) survived an upset scare against North Daviess (11-11) to win 55-42 in the first rou
- Cardinals fall at South Central ELIZABETH -- The Washington Catholic boys basketball team was looking for a win in its regular season finale to avoid going into the postseason on a losing streak. The Cardinals (4-15) fell behind early to South Central (Elizabeth) and lost 64-30 Sa
- Cougars move to 11-10 LITTLE CINCINNATI - The North Daviess Cougars ended the regular season on a high note with a 57-48 victory over Eastern Greene. The Cougars did not trail at any stop, with Kelby Byrer, Austin Beuhler and Brady Helms all ending the game in double figu
- Lady Hatchet seniors Photo provided Senior Night for the Lady Hatchet basketball team was held recently. Pictured are, front row seniors (from left): manager Ashlyn Stoll, Lupe Perez, Ally Hunsinger, Audra Stallman and manager Mareike Bayer. Back row parents: Tanya and L
- Hatchets fall short at Memorial EVANSVILLE -- A torrid third quarter was too much for the Washington Hatchets as Evansville Memorial claimed a 66-49 win on Friday. Washington (6-14) led 27-25 at halftime and had extended that lead to 34-30 midway through the third quarter before th
- Vikings run past Cardinals on Senior Night MONTGOMERY -- Prior to Friday night's game against Bloomfield, Barr-Reeve celebrated one of its largest senior classes in 40 years. Once the festivities ended, the Vikings finished off the regular season the way they started it -- with a victory. Cl
- More Local Sports Headlines