WASHINGTON — Ruth Chattin, 86, of Washington, passed away Saturday at Methodist Hospital Indianapolis. Born Sept. 11, 1926, in Washington, the only child of the late Orion W. and Luemma (Allen) Armes. Ruth lived all her life on Mill Street — born at 302 Mill Street, moved to 301 Mill Street and then to 303 Mill Street until she married. She attended Washington High School graduating in the class of 1944. Her very first job was in the office of Homer E. Beasley, attorney; after graduating she worked for Donaldson Insurance Agency; National Associated Petroleum Company, a branch office in Washington from Tulsa, Okla., and Daviess County Hospital as Secretary to the Controller for 34 years. Ruth and Walter “Cotton” Chattin were married Nov. 25, 1945, shortly after his discharge from the Navy Seebees where he spent two years in the Pacific and looked forward to making their home in Washington. They are the parents of one daughter, Sherri Chattin, and were married for 65 years. Cotton passed away June 15, 2010. Ruth was a member of Christ United Methodist Church, Arts and Flowers Garden Club, Delta Theta Tau Sorority, and was always very interested in her classmates, and worked diligently on 1944 Class Reunions as well as the WHS/WCHS Alumni Reunions for many years. She is survived by daughter Sherri Chattin of Columbus; granddaughter and her husband Shelly and Craig McElfresh and great-grandson Garrett McElfresh all of Indianapolis; and Jack Plummer of Columbus. Also sisters-in-law Phyllis E. Chattin, Phyllis Chattin Hart and Jane Chattin; niece Judy McCamment; and nephews Gary Chattin, Jeff Chattin, Scott Chattin and Steve Chattin; and her pet, Heidi. Friends may call Wednesday from noon until service time of 2 p.m. at the Gill Chapel. Entombment to follow at Sugarland Memory Gardens Mausoleum, with the Rev. Ken Wells officiating. Memorial contributions can be made to the Animal Control Shelter, 415 Clark Road, Washington, IN. 47501 Condolences may be made to the family online at: www.gillsince1872.com
Sept. 11, 1926 - March 23, 2013
- Sharon Stewart SHOALS -- Sharon (Jones) Stewart, 80, passed away peacefully Tuesday morning at her residence. The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home in Shoals. Burial will be in Spring Hill Cemetery. Visitation is from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wed
- Ronald Powell Ronald R. Powell, 54, of Washington, died at 5 p.m. Friday at Daviess Community Hospital. Services will be held at a later date. Arrangements are being made through Gill Funeral Home. Condolences may be made to the family online at www.gillsince1872.
- Johnnie Duzan LAUREL HILL, N.C. -- Johnnie Wayne Duzan was born in Washington Nov. 19, 1946, son of the late John Andrew Duzan and the late Margie (Dyer) Duzan Garner. John resided in Bradenton, Fla., for many years where he served as a sheriff's deputy for the na
- Funerals AGNES ARVIN -- A Mass of Christian Burial for Agnes "Aggie" McKinney Arvin was celebrated at 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Peter Catholic Church, with Rev. James Koressel officiating. Burial was in St. Peter Cemetery. Pallbearers were Aaron Pentzer, Clark
Rev. Paul Tarr
LOOGOOTEE — Rev. Paul F. Tarr, 79, died at 12:20 a.m. Sunday at Memorial Hospital in Jasper. He was born on May 27, 1934, in West Baden, to Cohen and Bertha (Britton) Tarr. On March 12, 1955, he married Lois E. (Davis) Tarr and she survives. Rev. Tar
- Martha Steiner AVON -- Martha Marie Steiner, 65, passed away Thursday. Martha was born Jan. 21, 1949, in Montgomery, to the late Paul J. and Anna I. (Worland) Steiner. Martha was employed with IU Health as an administrative assistant. She was also a member of St. C
- funerals DARLENE BROWN -- A Mass of Christian Burial for Darlene Brown was celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of Hope Catholic Church, with Rev. Gordon Mann as celebrant. Burial was in St. John Cemetery, with military rites by the American Legion and V.
- Vanessa Burton EVANSVILLE -- Vanessa Lynn Burton, 44, died of a sudden illness at 12:10 p.m. Wednesday at Deaconess Gateway Hospital in Evansville. Born Dec. 13, 1969, in Washington, she was the daughter of James Keany Burton Sr., and Alice S. (Arnold) Burton Apple
- Funerals ROBERT TOLBERT -- The funeral for Robert Tolbert was at 11 a.m. Thursday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home, with Bro. Matthew Sullivan and Rev. Jerry Sanders officiating. Burial was in Pleasant Valley Cemetery. Pallbearers were Vic Murray, Michael McBride, L
- Donnita McAtee Donnita J. McAtee, 52, of Washington, died at 2 a.m. Feb. 26 at her residence. Born Nov. 14, 1961, in Princeton, she was the daughter of Thomas McAtee and Patsy (Jackson) Garner. She attended Vincennes University, studying food service management. Sh
- More Obituaries Headlines