BRADENTON, Fla. – Anthony P. ‘Tony’ Purdy, 74, passed away Dec. 18 at Manatee Memorial Hospital in Bradenton.
Born Sept. 22, 1938, in Indianapolis, he was the son of Earl ‘Manual’ and Mary ‘Hazel’ (Yocum) Purdy. Tony grew up in Indianapolis and Cleveland, Ohio. He graduated from a Cleveland high school, served in the U.S. Air Force and was stationed in Libya and California. He was retired as a heavy equipment operator from Peabody Coal Company after many years of service.
Tony loved all sports, especially baseball and golf. He was an avid golfer and a huge Cincinnati Reds fan. When he was younger, he played for the Washington Grays semi-pro baseball team in Washington.
Tony was loved and respected by all. He never met a stranger. He is going to be missed by all who were lucky to know him.
Survivors include his wife, Velma J. (Harner) Purdy, whom he married June 24, 1994; a son, Tim Purdy of Washington; brothers, James A. Townsend Jr., Charles A. Townsend and Philip S. Townsend, all of Missouri; a sister, Dawn E. Townsend Gaines of Missouri; stepsons, Kevin Anderson (Doris) and Michael J. Overton (Betty), all of Washington, Paul D. Overton Jr. of Sacramento, Calif., and Joseph D. Overton (Carolyn) of Terre Haute; several step-grandchildren; several step-great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.
Tony is preceded in death by father, Manual Purdy, and his mother and stepfather, Hazel and James A. Townsend.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of Hope Catholic Church with Father Leo Kiesel as celebrant. Burial will follow in St. John Cemetery with military graveside rites by the Washington American Legion and VFW.
Visitation will be 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at Ed Lee Mortuary.
Online condolences may be sent at www.edleemortuary.com.
- Saturday's Funeral Notices JAMES CHOATE - The funeral for for James E. Choate were held at 11 a.m. Friday at Ed Lee Mortuary with Pastors Vicki Murello and Tom Watson officiating. Burial followed in Sugarland Memory Gardens with military graveside rites by the Washington Amer
- Ora Taylor LOOGOOTEE -- Ora (Hembree) Taylor, 88, died at 1:05 a.m. Friday at Memorial Hospital in Jasper. Born Sept. 15, 1925, in Martin County, she was the daughter of Orian and Ora (Parsons) Hembree. A retiree from RCA, she attended the Revival Center Church
- Toni Hollander MONTGOMERY -- Toni Kaye Hollander, 45, passed away peacefully at 9:56 p.m. Wednesday at Saint Mary's Medical Center in Evansville. Born Oct. 8, 1968, in Washington, she was the daughter of Anthony and Billie Jo (Thompson) Hollander. She was a graduat
- Marcella Russell SHOALS -- Marcella S. Russell, 74, passed away at 5:55 a.m. Thursday at the Indiana University Health Hospice House in Bloomington. The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home in Shoals. Burial will be in Spring Hill Cemetery in
- Friday's Funeral Notices DAVID DAVIDSON -- The funeral for David Robert Davidson was held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Bramble, with Rev. Kenneth Walker officiating. Pallbearers were Scott Davidson, Doug Davidson, Tony Thian, John Davidson and Soham S
- Funeral REV. ROBERT GRANGER -- The funeral for Rev. Robert "Bob" Granger was at 1 p.m. Saturday at Wheatland Christian Church, with Rev. Joseph Owens officiating. Burial was in Wheatland Cemetery, with military graveside rites by the American Legion and VFW.
- Margie Scott WHEATLAND -- Margie Marie Scott, 83, passed away 6 a.m. Tuesday at her residence. She was born Nov. 2, 1930, in Olney, Ill., to Bryan C. and Eva (Bullard) Hill A member of the Wheatland Christian Church, Margie had worked at Gimbel Bond and Dejongs a
- Janice Snyder-Root BLOOMINGTON -- Janice Kathleen "Kathy" Snyder-Root, 67, died peacefully Sunday at 9:02 p.m. following a short illness at Monroe Hospital in Bloomington. Known as "Kathy" or "Kate" to her many friends and family, she was born to John K. and Stella Mae
- James Choate James E. Choate, 65, of Washington, passed away at 12:25 p.m. Monday at Daviess Community Hospital. Born March 29, 1949, in Hopkinsville, Ky., he was the son of Shirley and Flora (Flynn) Choate. He graduated from Hammond Tech High School in 1967. He
- Kenneth Hardy BICKNELL -- Kenneth Harold Hardy, 69, passed away at 6:20 a.m. Saturday at Good Samaritan Hospital in Vincennes. Born May 21, 1944, in Washington, he was the son of Zoyed H. and Eleanor Louis (Bennett) Hardy. He graduated from Washington High School
- More Obituaries Headlines