BRADENTON, Fla. – Anthony P. ‘Tony’ Purdy, 74, passed away Dec. 18 at Manatee Memorial Hospital in Bradenton.
Born Sept. 22, 1938, in Indianapolis, he was the son of Earl ‘Manual’ and Mary ‘Hazel’ (Yocum) Purdy. Tony grew up in Indianapolis and Cleveland, Ohio. He graduated from a Cleveland high school, served in the U.S. Air Force and was stationed in Libya and California. He was retired as a heavy equipment operator from Peabody Coal Company after many years of service.
Tony loved all sports, especially baseball and golf. He was an avid golfer and a huge Cincinnati Reds fan. When he was younger, he played for the Washington Grays semi-pro baseball team in Washington.
Tony was loved and respected by all. He never met a stranger. He is going to be missed by all who were lucky to know him.
Survivors include his wife, Velma J. (Harner) Purdy, whom he married June 24, 1994; a son, Tim Purdy of Washington; brothers, James A. Townsend Jr., Charles A. Townsend and Philip S. Townsend, all of Missouri; a sister, Dawn E. Townsend Gaines of Missouri; stepsons, Kevin Anderson (Doris) and Michael J. Overton (Betty), all of Washington, Paul D. Overton Jr. of Sacramento, Calif., and Joseph D. Overton (Carolyn) of Terre Haute; several step-grandchildren; several step-great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.
Tony is preceded in death by father, Manual Purdy, and his mother and stepfather, Hazel and James A. Townsend.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of Hope Catholic Church with Father Leo Kiesel as celebrant. Burial will follow in St. John Cemetery with military graveside rites by the Washington American Legion and VFW.
Visitation will be 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at Ed Lee Mortuary.
Online condolences may be sent at www.edleemortuary.com.
- Thursday's Funeral Notices MERTON TOW JR. -- The funeral for Merton Tow Jr. was at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home, with Bro. Terry Kinser officiating. Pallbearers were Martin R. Tow, Danny Tow, Steve Sorrells, Brian Tow, Devin Venters and Shelby Venters. DONNA RI
- Iva Hardwick ODON -- Iva Hardwick, 88, died at 3:56 p.m. Monday at Ketcham Memorial Center. Born Oct. 29, 1925, in St. Louis, Mo., she was the daughter of Charles and Emma (Crow) Chamberlain. She had worked as a factory line worker at RCA. She is survived by a d
- Wednesday's Funeral Notices JAMES STEVENS -- The funeral for James R. Stevens was at 1 p.m. Saturday at Gill Funeral Home, with Revs. Cheryl Jones and George Qualley officiating. Burial was in Sugarland Memory Gardens. Pallbearers were John Dosch, Kerry Williams, Mike Edwards,
- Funerals MARCELLA RUSSELL -- The funeral for Marcella Russell was at 11 a.m. Saturday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home, with Bro. Matt Sullivan officiating. Burial was in Spring Hill Cemetery. Pallbearers were John Owen, Richard Diamond, Jacob Ivey, Richard Ivey, Ke
- Margaret 'Peggy' Burris LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Margaret Mary "Peggy" Burris, 62, passed away Monday surrounded by family. Peggy was the daughter of Webster and Catherine Struck. She is preceded in death by her brother-in law, Robert Lennon; and sister-in law, Lolly Struck. Pegg
- Merton Tow Jr. SHOALS -- Merton Tow Jr., 80, died at 9:35 p.m. Saturday at the Garden Villa in Bedford. The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home in Shoals. Burial will be in Spring Hill Cemetery, with military graveside rites by American L
- Jonathan Heshelman ODON -- Jonathan David Heshelman, 7 months, died Friday at Riley Hospital in Indianapolis. Born Aug. 28, 2013, in Washington, he was the son of Joshua Heshelman and Melissa Hall. He went to sleep and met Jesus in his mother's loving arms. He was a ve
- Donna Richmond Donna Faye Richmond, 55, of Washington, passed away Saturday morning at her residence. Born Nov. 13, 1958, in Washington, she was the daughter of Ralph and Phyllis Ann (Lents) McCool. She was a 1976 graduate of Washington High School and was a membe
- Saturday's Funeral Notices JAMES CHOATE - The funeral for for James E. Choate were held at 11 a.m. Friday at Ed Lee Mortuary with Pastors Vicki Murello and Tom Watson officiating. Burial followed in Sugarland Memory Gardens with military graveside rites by the Washington Amer
- Ora Taylor LOOGOOTEE -- Ora (Hembree) Taylor, 88, died at 1:05 a.m. Friday at Memorial Hospital in Jasper. Born Sept. 15, 1925, in Martin County, she was the daughter of Orian and Ora (Parsons) Hembree. A retiree from RCA, she attended the Revival Center Church
- More Obituaries Headlines