BRADENTON, Fla. – Anthony P. ‘Tony’ Purdy, 74, passed away Dec. 18 at Manatee Memorial Hospital in Bradenton.
Born Sept. 22, 1938, in Indianapolis, he was the son of Earl ‘Manual’ and Mary ‘Hazel’ (Yocum) Purdy. Tony grew up in Indianapolis and Cleveland, Ohio. He graduated from a Cleveland high school, served in the U.S. Air Force and was stationed in Libya and California. He was retired as a heavy equipment operator from Peabody Coal Company after many years of service.
Tony loved all sports, especially baseball and golf. He was an avid golfer and a huge Cincinnati Reds fan. When he was younger, he played for the Washington Grays semi-pro baseball team in Washington.
Tony was loved and respected by all. He never met a stranger. He is going to be missed by all who were lucky to know him.
Survivors include his wife, Velma J. (Harner) Purdy, whom he married June 24, 1994; a son, Tim Purdy of Washington; brothers, James A. Townsend Jr., Charles A. Townsend and Philip S. Townsend, all of Missouri; a sister, Dawn E. Townsend Gaines of Missouri; stepsons, Kevin Anderson (Doris) and Michael J. Overton (Betty), all of Washington, Paul D. Overton Jr. of Sacramento, Calif., and Joseph D. Overton (Carolyn) of Terre Haute; several step-grandchildren; several step-great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.
Tony is preceded in death by father, Manual Purdy, and his mother and stepfather, Hazel and James A. Townsend.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of Hope Catholic Church with Father Leo Kiesel as celebrant. Burial will follow in St. John Cemetery with military graveside rites by the Washington American Legion and VFW.
Visitation will be 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at Ed Lee Mortuary.
Online condolences may be sent at www.edleemortuary.com.
- Sharon Stewart SHOALS -- Sharon (Jones) Stewart, 80, passed away peacefully Tuesday morning at her residence. The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home in Shoals. Burial will be in Spring Hill Cemetery. Visitation is from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wed
- Ronald Powell Ronald R. Powell, 54, of Washington, died at 5 p.m. Friday at Daviess Community Hospital. Services will be held at a later date. Arrangements are being made through Gill Funeral Home. Condolences may be made to the family online at www.gillsince1872.
- Johnnie Duzan LAUREL HILL, N.C. -- Johnnie Wayne Duzan was born in Washington Nov. 19, 1946, son of the late John Andrew Duzan and the late Margie (Dyer) Duzan Garner. John resided in Bradenton, Fla., for many years where he served as a sheriff's deputy for the na
- Funerals AGNES ARVIN -- A Mass of Christian Burial for Agnes "Aggie" McKinney Arvin was celebrated at 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Peter Catholic Church, with Rev. James Koressel officiating. Burial was in St. Peter Cemetery. Pallbearers were Aaron Pentzer, Clark
Rev. Paul Tarr
LOOGOOTEE — Rev. Paul F. Tarr, 79, died at 12:20 a.m. Sunday at Memorial Hospital in Jasper. He was born on May 27, 1934, in West Baden, to Cohen and Bertha (Britton) Tarr. On March 12, 1955, he married Lois E. (Davis) Tarr and she survives. Rev. Tar
- Martha Steiner AVON -- Martha Marie Steiner, 65, passed away Thursday. Martha was born Jan. 21, 1949, in Montgomery, to the late Paul J. and Anna I. (Worland) Steiner. Martha was employed with IU Health as an administrative assistant. She was also a member of St. C
- funerals DARLENE BROWN -- A Mass of Christian Burial for Darlene Brown was celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of Hope Catholic Church, with Rev. Gordon Mann as celebrant. Burial was in St. John Cemetery, with military rites by the American Legion and V.
- Vanessa Burton EVANSVILLE -- Vanessa Lynn Burton, 44, died of a sudden illness at 12:10 p.m. Wednesday at Deaconess Gateway Hospital in Evansville. Born Dec. 13, 1969, in Washington, she was the daughter of James Keany Burton Sr., and Alice S. (Arnold) Burton Apple
- Funerals ROBERT TOLBERT -- The funeral for Robert Tolbert was at 11 a.m. Thursday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home, with Bro. Matthew Sullivan and Rev. Jerry Sanders officiating. Burial was in Pleasant Valley Cemetery. Pallbearers were Vic Murray, Michael McBride, L
- Donnita McAtee Donnita J. McAtee, 52, of Washington, died at 2 a.m. Feb. 26 at her residence. Born Nov. 14, 1961, in Princeton, she was the daughter of Thomas McAtee and Patsy (Jackson) Garner. She attended Vincennes University, studying food service management. Sh
- More Obituaries Headlines