BRADENTON, Fla. – Anthony P. ‘Tony’ Purdy, 74, passed away Dec. 18 at Manatee Memorial Hospital in Bradenton.
Born Sept. 22, 1938, in Indianapolis, he was the son of Earl ‘Manual’ and Mary ‘Hazel’ (Yocum) Purdy. Tony grew up in Indianapolis and Cleveland, Ohio. He graduated from a Cleveland high school, served in the U.S. Air Force and was stationed in Libya and California. He was retired as a heavy equipment operator from Peabody Coal Company after many years of service.
Tony loved all sports, especially baseball and golf. He was an avid golfer and a huge Cincinnati Reds fan. When he was younger, he played for the Washington Grays semi-pro baseball team in Washington.
Tony was loved and respected by all. He never met a stranger. He is going to be missed by all who were lucky to know him.
Survivors include his wife, Velma J. (Harner) Purdy, whom he married June 24, 1994; a son, Tim Purdy of Washington; brothers, James A. Townsend Jr., Charles A. Townsend and Philip S. Townsend, all of Missouri; a sister, Dawn E. Townsend Gaines of Missouri; stepsons, Kevin Anderson (Doris) and Michael J. Overton (Betty), all of Washington, Paul D. Overton Jr. of Sacramento, Calif., and Joseph D. Overton (Carolyn) of Terre Haute; several step-grandchildren; several step-great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.
Tony is preceded in death by father, Manual Purdy, and his mother and stepfather, Hazel and James A. Townsend.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of Hope Catholic Church with Father Leo Kiesel as celebrant. Burial will follow in St. John Cemetery with military graveside rites by the Washington American Legion and VFW.
Visitation will be 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at Ed Lee Mortuary.
Online condolences may be sent at www.edleemortuary.com.
- Thursday's Funeral Notices HELEN GAITHER — The funeral for Helen C. Gaither was at noon Wednesday at Gill Funeral Home, with Rev. Ken Wells officiating. Burial was in Wheatland Cemetery.Pallbearers were Duane Gaither, Keith Gaither, Brandon Gaither, Daniel Gaither, Grant Ketch
- Joyce Patterson CANNELBURG — Joyce (Cobb) Patterson, 81, died at 6:45 p.m. Tuesday in Indianapolis.Born Dec. 11, 1932, in Shoals, she was the daughter of Lee and Hazel (McKibben) Cobb. She was a graduate of Shoals High School. She lived most of her life in Cannelbur
- Funerals RALPH MELTON — A Mass of Christian Burial for Ralph Melton was celebrated at 10 a.m. Tuesday at St. Mary Catholic Chapel in Loogootee, with Rev. J. Kenneth Walker as celebrant. Burial was in St. John Catholic Cemetery.Pallbearers were John Mattingly,
- Joseph Jerger Joseph E. Jerger, 87, died at 6 p.m. Aug. 10 at Eastgate Manor Nursing. Born Dec. 12, 1926, in Washington, he was the son of Roman and Estella (Henninger) Jerger. He was retired as a steel foundry lab technician and was a U.S. Army veteran of World W
- Patricia Burks Patricia A. Burks, 80, of Washington, died at 7:05 a.m. Monday at Daviess Community Hospital. The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Poindexter-McClure Funeral Home, Washington Chapel. Burial will be in Walnut Hill Cemetery. Visitation is after 9 a
- Funerals LARRY NASH — The funeral for Larry Nash was at 11 a.m. Monday at Mt. Zion Wesleyan Church, with Pastor John Simmons officiating. Burial was in the church cemetery. Pallbearers were Todd Bragg, Alex Nash, Jacob Nash, Trenton Clark, Jim Nicholson, Tim
- Mary Asdell ODON — Mary Lucille Asdell, 92, died at 4:05 p.m. Friday at her residence. Born Sept. 25, 1921, in Daviess County, she was the daughter of Eddie and Hulda (Rusher) Kranning. She was a homemaker and had worked at Sarkes Tarzian for four years and Dear
- Maurice Shoultz LOOGOOTEE — Maurice E. Shoultz, 86, passed away peacefully at 4:45 p.m. Sunday at his residence. Born Dec. 21, 1927, in Gleason, he was the son of Nathan and Esther (Fox) Shoultz. He married Mary Margaret Street on May 8, 1948, and she preceded him i
- Helen Gaither Helen C. Gaither, 93, of Washington, died at 5:48 p.m. Saturday at Greenwood Meadows. Born July 31, 1921, in Wheatland, she was the daughter of Allison C. and Clara (Corcoran) Newman. A 1939 graduate of Wheatland High School, she was a homemaker. She
- Funerals HELEN THOMPSON — The funeral for Helen Mae Thompson was Saturday at Gill Funeral Home, with Bro. Alfred Helms officiating. Burial was in Bethany Cemetery.Pallbearers were John Hart, Eric Graber, Troy Graber, Tracy Wencel, John Pat Hart, Josh Graber,
- More Obituaries Headlines