BRADENTON, Fla. – Anthony P. ‘Tony’ Purdy, 74, passed away Dec. 18 at Manatee Memorial Hospital in Bradenton.
Born Sept. 22, 1938, in Indianapolis, he was the son of Earl ‘Manual’ and Mary ‘Hazel’ (Yocum) Purdy. Tony grew up in Indianapolis and Cleveland, Ohio. He graduated from a Cleveland high school, served in the U.S. Air Force and was stationed in Libya and California. He was retired as a heavy equipment operator from Peabody Coal Company after many years of service.
Tony loved all sports, especially baseball and golf. He was an avid golfer and a huge Cincinnati Reds fan. When he was younger, he played for the Washington Grays semi-pro baseball team in Washington.
Tony was loved and respected by all. He never met a stranger. He is going to be missed by all who were lucky to know him.
Survivors include his wife, Velma J. (Harner) Purdy, whom he married June 24, 1994; a son, Tim Purdy of Washington; brothers, James A. Townsend Jr., Charles A. Townsend and Philip S. Townsend, all of Missouri; a sister, Dawn E. Townsend Gaines of Missouri; stepsons, Kevin Anderson (Doris) and Michael J. Overton (Betty), all of Washington, Paul D. Overton Jr. of Sacramento, Calif., and Joseph D. Overton (Carolyn) of Terre Haute; several step-grandchildren; several step-great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.
Tony is preceded in death by father, Manual Purdy, and his mother and stepfather, Hazel and James A. Townsend.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of Hope Catholic Church with Father Leo Kiesel as celebrant. Burial will follow in St. John Cemetery with military graveside rites by the Washington American Legion and VFW.
Visitation will be 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at Ed Lee Mortuary.
Online condolences may be sent at www.edleemortuary.com.
- Kenneth Hardy BICKNELL -- Kenneth Harold Hardy, 69, passed away at 6:20 a.m. Saturday at Good Samaritan Hospital in Vincennes. Born May 21, 1944, in Washington, he was the son of Zoyed H. and Eleanor Louis (Bennett) Hardy. He graduated from Washington High School
- James Choate James E. Choate, 65, of Washington, passed away at 12:25 p.m. Monday at Daviess Community Hospital. Born March 29, 1949, in Hopkinsville, Ky., he was the son of Shirley and Flora (Flynn) Choate. He graduated from Hammond Tech High School in 1967. He
- James Stevens Sr. CHEBOYGAN, Mich. -- James Reginald Stevens, Sr., Commander (Ret. USN), 82, set sail for his final voyage to Heaven to serve his most high commander Jesus Christ on April 9, at his winter home in Washington, while on hospice. Stevens is survived by h
- David Davidson CRANE -- David Robert Davidson, 80, died at 11:40 a.m. Friday at his residence. The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Bramble, with Rev. Kenneth Walker officiating. Burial will be in St. Joseph Cemetery, with militar
- Geneva Yarbrough BLOOMINGTON -- Geneva I. Yarbrough, 94, passed away Sunday at Garden Villa in Bloomington. Born Sept. 2, 1919, in Daviess County, she was the daughter of Joseph and Mary Delpha (Beasley) Lamb. Survivors include one daughter, Barbara Slessinger (Louis
- Lester 'Norman' Wininger RAGLESVILLE -- Lester "Norman" Wininger, 83, a resident of Raglesville for over 53 years, passed away at 2:25 p.m. Saturday at Bloomington Hospital. Born Dec. 11, 1930, in Martin County, he was the son of Roy and Bertha (Collins) Wininger. He attend
- Robert Bullock CANNELBURG -- Robert C. "Bob" Bullock, 88, passed away at 8 p.m. Saturday at St. Charles Health Campus in Jasper surrounded by his family. Born Sept. 8, 1925, in Daviess County, he was the son of James Omer and Beatrice (McGuire) Bullock. Bob retired
- Wilma Edmondson ODON -- Wilma Edmondson, 87, passed away April 2 at 9:40 a.m. surrounded by family. She was born July 23, 1926, to Ross and Ethel (Courtney) Edmondson in Elnora - the Mudd Pike area. After graduating from Elnora High School in 1944, she moved to Ind
- Funerals LEO BARLEY -- A Mass of Christian Burial for Leo Barley was celebrated at 10 a.m. Saturday in St. Peter's Catholic Church, Montgomery, with Rev. James Koressel, Joseph Erbacher and J. Kenneth Walker officiating. Burial will be at a later date. Pallbe
- James Garten BLOOMFIELD — James Larry Garten, 66, passed away April 8 at his residence. Born Aug. 15, 1947, in Indianapolis, he was the son of James J. and Betty J. (Newell) Garten. He was a farmer. He served his country with the U.S. Army in Vietnam. He is survi
- More Obituaries Headlines