BRADENTON, Fla. – Anthony P. ‘Tony’ Purdy, 74, passed away Dec. 18 at Manatee Memorial Hospital in Bradenton.
Born Sept. 22, 1938, in Indianapolis, he was the son of Earl ‘Manual’ and Mary ‘Hazel’ (Yocum) Purdy. Tony grew up in Indianapolis and Cleveland, Ohio. He graduated from a Cleveland high school, served in the U.S. Air Force and was stationed in Libya and California. He was retired as a heavy equipment operator from Peabody Coal Company after many years of service.
Tony loved all sports, especially baseball and golf. He was an avid golfer and a huge Cincinnati Reds fan. When he was younger, he played for the Washington Grays semi-pro baseball team in Washington.
Tony was loved and respected by all. He never met a stranger. He is going to be missed by all who were lucky to know him.
Survivors include his wife, Velma J. (Harner) Purdy, whom he married June 24, 1994; a son, Tim Purdy of Washington; brothers, James A. Townsend Jr., Charles A. Townsend and Philip S. Townsend, all of Missouri; a sister, Dawn E. Townsend Gaines of Missouri; stepsons, Kevin Anderson (Doris) and Michael J. Overton (Betty), all of Washington, Paul D. Overton Jr. of Sacramento, Calif., and Joseph D. Overton (Carolyn) of Terre Haute; several step-grandchildren; several step-great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.
Tony is preceded in death by father, Manual Purdy, and his mother and stepfather, Hazel and James A. Townsend.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of Hope Catholic Church with Father Leo Kiesel as celebrant. Burial will follow in St. John Cemetery with military graveside rites by the Washington American Legion and VFW.
Visitation will be 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at Ed Lee Mortuary.
Online condolences may be sent at www.edleemortuary.com.
- Naomi 'Joy' Payne Naomi "Joy" Payne, 53, died at 12:54 p.m. Monday at Good Samaritan Hospital. Born Dec. 2, 1960, in Washington, she was the daughter of June (Colvert) and John Cissell Sr. She attended Washington High School and was the church secretary and children's
- Martha 'Marty' Green Martha Ellen "Marty" Green, 95, of Washington passed away Wednesday, Nov. 27, 2013, at Daviess Community Hospital. Born on Oct. 6, 1918, in Washington D.C., she was the daughter of Royal and Ethel (Wohrer) Carlock. A 1935 graduate of Bethesda-Chevy C
- Marjorie A. Fleetwood MARION, Ill. -- Marjorie A. Fleetwood, 80, of Marion, passed away at 11:18 a.m. Friday in the Heartland Regional Medical Center in Marion. She was born March 15, 1933, in Vincennes, to William and Mae Herschelman. She married Donald Lee Fleetwood and
- Ruth Johnson GREENWOOD -- Ruth S. Johnson, 99, passed away on Dec.7. She was born on July 4, 1914, in Washington, a daughter of Aden and Nellie Singleton. She was married to Bert Johnson. He preceded her in death. She is also preceded in death by one sister and o
- William Pattison JASPER -- William E. Pattison, 91, formerly of Carmel, died Tuesday at the Timbers of Jasper Nursing Center. Born Sept. 12, 1922, in Indianapolis, he was the son of Howard and Elsie (Evans) Pattison. He was a 1939 graduate of Arsenal Technical High
- Douglas 'Scott' Souerdike PAOLI -- Douglas "Scott" Souerdike, 50, formerly of Loogootee, died Saturday at his home. The funeral will be at 7 p.m. Thursday at Brocksmith-Blake Funeral Home in Loogootee. Visitation is after 3 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home. Online condolence
- Carolyn Owen PETERSBURG -- Carolyn S. Owen, 70, died Monday at her residence. Graveside services will be held at a later date. Arrangements are being made through Harris Funeral Home, Petersburg. Carolyn Owen
- Funeral JACOB GROVE -- The funeral for Jacob Nathan Grove was at 2 p.m. Friday at Poindexter-McClure Funeral Home, Odon Chapel, with Bro. Richard Smith officiating. Burial was in Walnut Hill Cemetery. Pallbearers were Larry Woodruff, Kelly Woodruff, Mike Cor
- Funerals LOIS DYER -- The funeral for Lois P. Dyer was at 11 a.m. Monday at Poindexter-McClure Funeral Home, with Bro. Matt Huffman officiating. Burial was in New Veale Creek Cemetery. Pallbearers were Frank Smith, Nathan Smith, Brock Smith, Todd Smith, Colto
- Ira Evans Ira Evans, 57, of Washington, died at 9:14 p.m. Wednesday at Daviess Community Hospital. Funeral services will be at a later date. Arrangements are being made through Poindexter-McClure Funeral Home. Ira Evans
- More Obituaries Headlines