LOOGOOTEE — Charles R. “Slick” Cooper, 74, died at 7:30 a.m. Saturday at his home. Born April 11, 1938, in Loogootee, he was the son of Carl and Frances Vivian (McBryant) Cooper. He was a member of St. John Catholic Church in Loogootee and had attended St. John High School in Loogootee. He was a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps and was a carpenter and owner and operator of Cooper Construction Company. Slick was an equestrian and raised and raced thoroughbred horses. In addition, he was a licensed race horse trainer. He was an avid Elvis fan, enjoyed playing the harmonica and watching Purdue basketball and the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball. He is survived by one daughter, Denise Matheis of Loogootee; two sons, Steve Cooper of Charlotte, N.C., and Garrick Cooper of Shoals; two brothers, Max Cooper of Loogootee, and Tom Cooper of Kokomo; one sister, Carla Howell of Shoals; five grandchildren, Alyssa Bledsoe, Lauren Matheis, Storm Cooper, Isaac Cooper and Chloe Cooper; and two great-grandchildren, Judd Bledsoe and Grace Bledsoe. He is preceded in death by his parents and two sisters, Gerry Fiscus and Carolyn Blackwell. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Tuesday at St. John Catholic Church in Loogootee. Burial will be in St. John Catholic Cemetery in Loogootee. Visitation is after 10 a.m. Tuesday at the church. Arrangements are being made through Brocksmith-Blake Funeral Home in Loogootee. Online condolences may be made at www.brocksmithblakefuneralhomes.com.
April 11, 1938 - Jan. 26, 2013
- Ronald Powell Ronald R. Powell, 54, of Washington, died at 5 p.m. Friday at Daviess Community Hospital. Services will be held at a later date. Arrangements are being made through Gill Funeral Home. Condolences may be made to the family online at www.gillsince1872.
- Johnnie Duzan LAUREL HILL, N.C. -- Johnnie Wayne Duzan was born in Washington Nov. 19, 1946, son of the late John Andrew Duzan and the late Margie (Dyer) Duzan Garner. John resided in Bradenton, Fla., for many years where he served as a sheriff's deputy for the na
- Funerals AGNES ARVIN -- A Mass of Christian Burial for Agnes "Aggie" McKinney Arvin was celebrated at 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Peter Catholic Church, with Rev. James Koressel officiating. Burial was in St. Peter Cemetery. Pallbearers were Aaron Pentzer, Clark
Rev. Paul Tarr
LOOGOOTEE — Rev. Paul F. Tarr, 79, died at 12:20 a.m. Sunday at Memorial Hospital in Jasper. He was born on May 27, 1934, in West Baden, to Cohen and Bertha (Britton) Tarr. On March 12, 1955, he married Lois E. (Davis) Tarr and she survives. Rev. Tar
- Martha Steiner AVON -- Martha Marie Steiner, 65, passed away Thursday. Martha was born Jan. 21, 1949, in Montgomery, to the late Paul J. and Anna I. (Worland) Steiner. Martha was employed with IU Health as an administrative assistant. She was also a member of St. C
- funerals DARLENE BROWN -- A Mass of Christian Burial for Darlene Brown was celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of Hope Catholic Church, with Rev. Gordon Mann as celebrant. Burial was in St. John Cemetery, with military rites by the American Legion and V.
- Vanessa Burton EVANSVILLE -- Vanessa Lynn Burton, 44, died of a sudden illness at 12:10 p.m. Wednesday at Deaconess Gateway Hospital in Evansville. Born Dec. 13, 1969, in Washington, she was the daughter of James Keany Burton Sr., and Alice S. (Arnold) Burton Apple
- Funerals ROBERT TOLBERT -- The funeral for Robert Tolbert was at 11 a.m. Thursday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home, with Bro. Matthew Sullivan and Rev. Jerry Sanders officiating. Burial was in Pleasant Valley Cemetery. Pallbearers were Vic Murray, Michael McBride, L
- Donnita McAtee Donnita J. McAtee, 52, of Washington, died at 2 a.m. Feb. 26 at her residence. Born Nov. 14, 1961, in Princeton, she was the daughter of Thomas McAtee and Patsy (Jackson) Garner. She attended Vincennes University, studying food service management. Sh
- Abraham Wagler MONTGOMERY -- Abraham Wagler, 96, died at 5:50 p.m. Sunday at his residence. He was born Sept. 23, 1917, in Daviess County, the son of Victor and Anna (Kemp) Wagler He was a member of the Old Order Amish Church. He married Elizabeth (Wagler) Wagler O
- More Obituaries Headlines