WASHINGTON — Jerold B. “Jerry” Swann, 91, of Washington, died at 8:10 a.m. Wednesday at Deaconess Hospice Center. Born Sept. 6, 1921, in Washington, he was the son of Jesse Ralph and Jessie (Bingham) Swann. He graduated from Washington High School and served in the Army Air Corps, stationed in New Guinea, during World War II. He flew missions on a B24 as a radio-gunner in the Jolly Roger’s squadron. He was employed at F.W. Woolworth’s and after being discharged, he worked as a farmer and then for Farm Bureau Co-Op. He was a former elder of Bethany Christian Church and most recently an elder of First Christian Church of Washington and enjoyed fishing in his free time. He is survived by his wife, Wilma “Jean” (McCracken) Swann, whom he married March 10, 1943. The couple had recently celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary with a reception at the church. He is also survived by his children, Martha and husband Mike Miller, Mary Lou Swann-Young and Kenneth Joseph Swann; and many nieces and nephews. He is preceded in death by two brothers, Joseph Bingham Swann and Charles Phillip Swann, and a sister, Cleo Maria Swann Hiaum. The funeral was at 2 p.m. Saturday at First Christian Church. Burial will be in Bethany Cemetery. Visitation was after 11 a.m. Saturday at the church. Arrangements were made through Gill Funeral Home. Condolences may be made to the family online at www.gillsince1872.com
Sept. 6, 1921 - June 26, 2013
- Funerals LOIS DYER -- The funeral for Lois P. Dyer was at 11 a.m. Monday at Poindexter-McClure Funeral Home, with Bro. Matt Huffman officiating. Burial was in New Veale Creek Cemetery. Pallbearers were Frank Smith, Nathan Smith, Brock Smith, Todd Smith, Colto
- Ira Evans Ira Evans, 57, of Washington, died at 9:14 p.m. Wednesday at Daviess Community Hospital. Funeral services will be at a later date. Arrangements are being made through Poindexter-McClure Funeral Home. Ira Evans
- Devan Burris Devan K. Burris, 17, of Washington, passed away at 2:32 a.m. Friday at Daviess Community Hospital. Born Oct. 15, 1996, in Vincennes, he was the son of Tammy (Canary) Burris and Kevin Lawyer. He had attended Washington High School and loved video game
- Mariann (Wuensch) Wininger LOOGOOTEE -- Mariann (Wuensch) Wininger, 79, died at 12:41 a.m. Sunday at her home. She was born to John and Jessie (Barry) Bindner in Indianapolis on Sept. 28, 1934, the youngest of nine children. Her father, John, passed away when Mariann was 4 yea
- Rev. E. Ann Embry Rev. E. Ann Embry, 74, of Washington, went to be with her Lord at 5 p.m. Thursday at Select Care Hospital in Evansville after a long and courageous battle with cancer. Born June 9, 1939, in Bridgeport, Conn., she was the daughter of Jacob Frederic an
Ruth L. Grannan, 86, of Washington, died Saturday at her residence. Born in Champaign, Ill., she was the daughter of Roy and Pearl (Hinkle) Rosenberry. She attended Washington schools. She first worked at U.S. Rubber and Uniroyal, where she retired.
- Linda Dorsey PETERSBURG — Linda D. Dorsey, 68, died at 5:55 p.m. Friday at her residence. Graveside services will be held at Williams Cemetery in Bowman at a later date. No visitation is scheduled.
- Donald Shake LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Donald R. Shake, 86, formerly of Washington, died at 11:55 a.m. Friday in Louisville. Born Feb. 24, 1927, in Daviess County, he was the son of James M. and Ozie (Fair) Shake. He was a World War II veteran of the U.S. Air Force and w
- Saturday's Funeral Notices FOSTER CHRISTENBERRY -- The funeral for Foster S. Christenberry was at 11 a.m. Thursday at First Christian Church, Odon, with Bro. Arlin Pope officiating. Burial was in Walnut Hill Cemetery. Pallbearers were Terry Christenberry, Josh Christenberry, J
- Dorothy Goodrid Dorothy Ann Goodrid, 89, Washington, passed away Dec. 2 at 1:30 p.m. at her home surrounded by her family. Dorothy was born to the late Gene and Una (Taylor) Witherspoon in Chicago on May 22, 1924. Her family lived in Chicago for the first few years
- More Obituaries Headlines