WASHINGTON — Lena Nova Martin, 95, of Washington, died at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday at Eastgate Manor Nursing Home. Born April 26, 1918, in Daviess County, she was the daughter of James Morton and Flora Lenora (Horrall) Stafford. She attended Pleasant Hill School and Washington High School. She worked for 13 years during harvest season at both Doty Orchards and Colbert Seed Corn. In addition, she also worked several years for her oldest son, Lee Martin, at Martin Studios as a negative sorter and in customer relations. Her hobbies were crafts, gardening, birding, reading, cultivating flowers, mushroom hunting and fishing. She was a member of Veale Creek Baptist Church. She is survived by four sons, Lee (Penelope) Martin of Washington, Cecil (Connie) Martin of Sepico, Billy Joe (Brenda) Martin and Thomas Ralph (Karen) Martin, both of Columbus; a daughter-in-law, Judy Martin of Washington; 24 grandchildren; 60 great-grandchildren; and 31 great-great-grandchildren. Her husband, James Nelson Martin, whom she married May 26, 1934, died Nov. 24, 1995. She was also preceded in death by three sons, Arthur Irwin, Charles Nelson and John Wayne Martin. The last of 14 children, she is also preceded in death by brothers and sisters Alva Stafford, Harley Stafford, Ralph Stafford, John Stafford, Sadie Allison, Esta Riker, Lucille Evans, Glen Miller, Marie Stafford, Eva Alford, Edna Sharum, Donald Stafford and Dorothy Stafford. The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Gill Chapel, with Rev. Tim Baxter officiating. Burial will be in New Veale Creek Cemetery. Visitation is from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and after 9 a.m. Saturday at the funeral home. Preferred memorials are to Veale Creek Baptist Church or American Cancer Society. Condolences may be made to the family online at www.gillsince1872.com
April 26, 1918 - June 25, 2013
Ruth L. Grannan, 86, of Washington, died Saturday at her residence. Born in Champaign, Ill., she was the daughter of Roy and Pearl (Hinkle) Rosenberry. She attended Washington schools. She first worked at U.S. Rubber and Uniroyal, where she retired.
- Linda Dorsey PETERSBURG — Linda D. Dorsey, 68, died at 5:55 p.m. Friday at her residence. Graveside services will be held at Williams Cemetery in Bowman at a later date. No visitation is scheduled.
- Donald Shake LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Donald R. Shake, 86, formerly of Washington, died at 11:55 a.m. Friday in Louisville. Born Feb. 24, 1927, in Daviess County, he was the son of James M. and Ozie (Fair) Shake. He was a World War II veteran of the U.S. Air Force and w
- Saturday's Funeral Notices FOSTER CHRISTENBERRY -- The funeral for Foster S. Christenberry was at 11 a.m. Thursday at First Christian Church, Odon, with Bro. Arlin Pope officiating. Burial was in Walnut Hill Cemetery. Pallbearers were Terry Christenberry, Josh Christenberry, J
- Dorothy Goodrid Dorothy Ann Goodrid, 89, Washington, passed away Dec. 2 at 1:30 p.m. at her home surrounded by her family. Dorothy was born to the late Gene and Una (Taylor) Witherspoon in Chicago on May 22, 1924. Her family lived in Chicago for the first few years
- Lois Dyer Lois P. Dyer, 78, of Washington, died at 2:44 a.m. Thursday at Hillside Manor Nursing Center. Born July 19, 1935, in Champaign County, Ill., she was the daughter of Virgil and Lola (Reynolds) McCracken. She had worked at Armour Packing for 16 years a
- Kenneth Jackle JASPER -- Kenneth J. Jackle, 47, passed away at 4:05 p.m. Tuesday at St. Charles Health Campus in Jasper. Kenneth fought a battle with leukemia for the past nine months. Born Oct. 20, 1966, in Jasper, he was the son of Robert and Sandra (Richards) Ja
- Dorothy Ann Goodrid Dorothy Ann Goodrid, 89, Washington, passed away Dec. 2 at 1:30 p.m. at her home surrounded by her family. Dorothy was born to the late Gene and Una (Taylor) Witherspoon in Chicago on May 22, 1924. Her family lived in Chicago for the first few years
- Kenneth Tennis Kenneth F. Tennis, 80, of Washington, passed away at 9 a.m. Saturday at his residence. Born March 1, 1933, in Gibson County, he was the son of Francis P. and Mary I. (Healy) Tennis. He was a 1951 graduate of Washington Catholic High School and was a
- Wilford 'Bud' Buhr Wilford "Bud" Buhr, 83, passed away at 5:29 p.m. Saturday at Washington Nursing Center. Born Dec. 31, 1929, in Washington, he was the son of Lawrence and Eathel (Workman) Buhr. He was a 1948 graduate of Loogootee High School and was a U.S. Navy veter
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Ruth Grannan