SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — Rex L. Ward, 70, formerly of Belleville, Ill., and Washington, born Jan. 2, 1942, in East St. Louis, Ill., died Sunday, at St. John’s Hospital in Springfield. Rex retired from CSX (formerly B and O) Railroad after 42 years as an engineer. He was a U.S. Army veteran. Mr. Ward was a member of Triple Lodge No. 835 A.F. and A. M. of Granite City, Ill., Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, American Legion Post 121, Fraternal Order of the Eagles Aerie 414 of Washington and the VFW Post No. 3321 of Washington. He was preceded in death by his parents, Avery Victor and Lucy Marie (Walker) Ward; a brother, James Ward; and two sisters, Carol Ann Houser and Doris Burkhead. He is survived by his wife, Jeannie (Bodendieck) Ward; a daughter, Linda Ward Tewell of Springfield; three sons, Mark (Bonnie) Ward of Washington, Matt (Cis) Ward of Springfield and David (Angela) Ward of Washington; 11 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren; a brother, Ben (Donna) Ward of Granite City, Ill., and Nancy (Chuck) Hahne of Creve Coeur, Mo. Condolences may be expressed to the family online at www.kasslyfuneral.com. Friends may call from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday at Kassly Mortuary, Fairview Heights, Ill. The Sangamon County Sheriff’s Department will post a guard of honor during visitation. Triple Lodge No. 835 A.F. and A.M. of Granite City will conduct Masonic services at 7:30 p.m. at the mortuary. Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Kassly Mortuary Chapel, with Rev. Brian Bodendieck officiating. Interment will be in Lake View Memorial Gardens, Fairview Heights.
Jan. 2, 1942 - Dec. 30, 2012
- Ruth Grannan Ruth L. Grannan, 86, of Washington, died Saturday at her residence. Born in Champaign, Ill., she was the daughter of Roy and Pearl (Hinkle) Rosenberry. She attended Washington schools. She first worked at U.S. Rubber and Uniroyal, where she retired.
- Linda Dorsey PETERSBURG — Linda D. Dorsey, 68, died at 5:55 p.m. Friday at her residence. Graveside services will be held at Williams Cemetery in Bowman at a later date. No visitation is scheduled.
- Donald Shake LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Donald R. Shake, 86, formerly of Washington, died at 11:55 a.m. Friday in Louisville. Born Feb. 24, 1927, in Daviess County, he was the son of James M. and Ozie (Fair) Shake. He was a World War II veteran of the U.S. Air Force and w
- Saturday's Funeral Notices FOSTER CHRISTENBERRY -- The funeral for Foster S. Christenberry was at 11 a.m. Thursday at First Christian Church, Odon, with Bro. Arlin Pope officiating. Burial was in Walnut Hill Cemetery. Pallbearers were Terry Christenberry, Josh Christenberry, J
- Dorothy Goodrid Dorothy Ann Goodrid, 89, Washington, passed away Dec. 2 at 1:30 p.m. at her home surrounded by her family. Dorothy was born to the late Gene and Una (Taylor) Witherspoon in Chicago on May 22, 1924. Her family lived in Chicago for the first few years
- Lois Dyer Lois P. Dyer, 78, of Washington, died at 2:44 a.m. Thursday at Hillside Manor Nursing Center. Born July 19, 1935, in Champaign County, Ill., she was the daughter of Virgil and Lola (Reynolds) McCracken. She had worked at Armour Packing for 16 years a
- Kenneth Jackle JASPER -- Kenneth J. Jackle, 47, passed away at 4:05 p.m. Tuesday at St. Charles Health Campus in Jasper. Kenneth fought a battle with leukemia for the past nine months. Born Oct. 20, 1966, in Jasper, he was the son of Robert and Sandra (Richards) Ja
- Dorothy Ann Goodrid Dorothy Ann Goodrid, 89, Washington, passed away Dec. 2 at 1:30 p.m. at her home surrounded by her family. Dorothy was born to the late Gene and Una (Taylor) Witherspoon in Chicago on May 22, 1924. Her family lived in Chicago for the first few years
- Kenneth Tennis Kenneth F. Tennis, 80, of Washington, passed away at 9 a.m. Saturday at his residence. Born March 1, 1933, in Gibson County, he was the son of Francis P. and Mary I. (Healy) Tennis. He was a 1951 graduate of Washington Catholic High School and was a
- Wilford 'Bud' Buhr Wilford "Bud" Buhr, 83, passed away at 5:29 p.m. Saturday at Washington Nursing Center. Born Dec. 31, 1929, in Washington, he was the son of Lawrence and Eathel (Workman) Buhr. He was a 1948 graduate of Loogootee High School and was a U.S. Navy veter
- More Obituaries Headlines