WASHINGTON — Lois G. (Allison) Shelton, 83, died at 12:25 p.m. Friday at Memorial Hospital in Jasper. Born May 5, 1929, in Daviess County, she was the daughter of George B. and Myra (Keith) Allison. She graduated from Pleasant Hill Elementary, Washington High School in 1947, and Asbury College, obtaining bachelor’s degrees in elementary and religious education, and Master of Education from Indiana State University and also attended Butler, IUPUI and USI. She was a retired teacher who taught at Whittier School near Cumback, weekday education at Martinsville, Longfellow, Lena Dunn Elementary and Veale Elementary. She was a lifelong member of Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church where she served on multiple committees, taught Sunday school for decades and held weekly Bible studies at her house. She was a member of the District United Methodist Women (UMW), Past Secretary of the Vincennes District UMW, Past President of UMW, past State Treasurer of the United Methodist Historical Society, Past President of the retired teachers association, a member of Delta Kappa Gamma Society, the Helpful Homemakers Club, and several other organizations. She was always keeping busy, and enjoyed teaching, quilting, sewing, cooking, reading, family, church choir, and life in general.She was preceded in death by her husband, Donald R. Shelton, whom she married April 14, 1960, died on Aug. 8, 1986; her parents; and siblings, Mary Ruth Allison, Keith Brinton Allison, Rev. Earl Allison, Burke N. Allison and Helen E. White; plus three grandchildren, Natasha Crouse, Heath Shelton, and Brinton Shelton. She is survived by two sons and one daughter; Joseph C. and wife Kathy Shelton, Victor R. and wife Cheryl Shelton, and Mike and Myra (Shelton) Meinhart, all of Washington; grandchildren, Kaylyne Shelton, Natalya and Zaneon Meinhart, Wesley and Emma Shelton, David and Jacob Williams; and sister-in-laws Ruth E. Allison of Veale Township, Phoebe Allison of Evansville, and Louise Hostetter of Jasper, and brother-in-law Veril McClure of Augusta. The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church with Rev. Philip Richardson officiating. Burial will be at Bethel Cemetery. Visitation is from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Gill Chapel and after 10 a.m. Wednesday at Pleasant Hill Church. Preferred memorials are to the Pleasant Hill Church building fund or to the family who plan to continue to fund several missions that their Mother supported.
May 5, 1929 - Feb. 22, 2013
- Saturday's Funeral Notices JAMES CHOATE - The funeral for for James E. Choate were held at 11 a.m. Friday at Ed Lee Mortuary with Pastors Vicki Murello and Tom Watson officiating. Burial followed in Sugarland Memory Gardens with military graveside rites by the Washington Amer
- Ora Taylor LOOGOOTEE -- Ora (Hembree) Taylor, 88, died at 1:05 a.m. Friday at Memorial Hospital in Jasper. Born Sept. 15, 1925, in Martin County, she was the daughter of Orian and Ora (Parsons) Hembree. A retiree from RCA, she attended the Revival Center Church
- Toni Hollander MONTGOMERY -- Toni Kaye Hollander, 45, passed away peacefully at 9:56 p.m. Wednesday at Saint Mary's Medical Center in Evansville. Born Oct. 8, 1968, in Washington, she was the daughter of Anthony and Billie Jo (Thompson) Hollander. She was a graduat
- Marcella Russell SHOALS -- Marcella S. Russell, 74, passed away at 5:55 a.m. Thursday at the Indiana University Health Hospice House in Bloomington. The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home in Shoals. Burial will be in Spring Hill Cemetery in
- Friday's Funeral Notices DAVID DAVIDSON -- The funeral for David Robert Davidson was held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Bramble, with Rev. Kenneth Walker officiating. Pallbearers were Scott Davidson, Doug Davidson, Tony Thian, John Davidson and Soham S
- Funeral REV. ROBERT GRANGER -- The funeral for Rev. Robert "Bob" Granger was at 1 p.m. Saturday at Wheatland Christian Church, with Rev. Joseph Owens officiating. Burial was in Wheatland Cemetery, with military graveside rites by the American Legion and VFW.
- Margie Scott WHEATLAND -- Margie Marie Scott, 83, passed away 6 a.m. Tuesday at her residence. She was born Nov. 2, 1930, in Olney, Ill., to Bryan C. and Eva (Bullard) Hill A member of the Wheatland Christian Church, Margie had worked at Gimbel Bond and Dejongs a
- Janice Snyder-Root BLOOMINGTON -- Janice Kathleen "Kathy" Snyder-Root, 67, died peacefully Sunday at 9:02 p.m. following a short illness at Monroe Hospital in Bloomington. Known as "Kathy" or "Kate" to her many friends and family, she was born to John K. and Stella Mae
- James Choate James E. Choate, 65, of Washington, passed away at 12:25 p.m. Monday at Daviess Community Hospital. Born March 29, 1949, in Hopkinsville, Ky., he was the son of Shirley and Flora (Flynn) Choate. He graduated from Hammond Tech High School in 1967. He
- Kenneth Hardy BICKNELL -- Kenneth Harold Hardy, 69, passed away at 6:20 a.m. Saturday at Good Samaritan Hospital in Vincennes. Born May 21, 1944, in Washington, he was the son of Zoyed H. and Eleanor Louis (Bennett) Hardy. He graduated from Washington High School
- More Obituaries Headlines