ODON — Paul D. Sweckard, 67, died at 5:06 p.m. Monday at Union Hospital in Terre Haute. Born April 15, 1945, in Pekin, Ill., he was the son of Harold and Helen (Higgins) Sweckard. He was a member of St. Joseph Catholic Church in Bramble and was a 4th degree member of the Loogootee Knights of Columbus and a member of the V.F.W. He was a retired Vietnam War veteran, serving 22 years in the U.S. Army. After retiring from the Army in 1984 he worked for Naval Ordnance Station in Louisville, Ky., from 1985 until its closure in 1999. He then transferred to Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane and worked there from 1999 until his retirement in 2009. He enjoyed hunting, fishing and spending time with his grandchildren. He is survived by his wife, Virginia (Prokopiak) Sweckard, whom he married Nov. 3, 1973; one son, Kevin Sweckard of Odon; one daughter, Regina Sweckard of Odon; and two grandsons, Tyler and Weston Sweckard. He is preceded in death by his father, Harold Sweckard; his mother, Helen Sweckard Simpson; his stepfather, Eugene Simpson; one brother, Gerald Sweckard; and one nephew, Alan Sweckard. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Bramble. Burial with military graveside rites will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation is from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at Brocksmith-Blake Funeral Home in Loogootee, with a Knights of Columbus Memorial Service at 6 p.m. Online condolences may be made at www.brocksmithblakefuneralhomes.com
April 15, 1945 - Feb. 25, 2013
- Ronald Powell Ronald R. Powell, 54, of Washington, died at 5 p.m. Friday at Daviess Community Hospital. Services will be held at a later date. Arrangements are being made through Gill Funeral Home. Condolences may be made to the family online at www.gillsince1872.
- Johnnie Duzan LAUREL HILL, N.C. -- Johnnie Wayne Duzan was born in Washington Nov. 19, 1946, son of the late John Andrew Duzan and the late Margie (Dyer) Duzan Garner. John resided in Bradenton, Fla., for many years where he served as a sheriff's deputy for the na
- Funerals AGNES ARVIN -- A Mass of Christian Burial for Agnes "Aggie" McKinney Arvin was celebrated at 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Peter Catholic Church, with Rev. James Koressel officiating. Burial was in St. Peter Cemetery. Pallbearers were Aaron Pentzer, Clark
Rev. Paul Tarr
LOOGOOTEE — Rev. Paul F. Tarr, 79, died at 12:20 a.m. Sunday at Memorial Hospital in Jasper. He was born on May 27, 1934, in West Baden, to Cohen and Bertha (Britton) Tarr. On March 12, 1955, he married Lois E. (Davis) Tarr and she survives. Rev. Tar
- Martha Steiner AVON -- Martha Marie Steiner, 65, passed away Thursday. Martha was born Jan. 21, 1949, in Montgomery, to the late Paul J. and Anna I. (Worland) Steiner. Martha was employed with IU Health as an administrative assistant. She was also a member of St. C
- funerals DARLENE BROWN -- A Mass of Christian Burial for Darlene Brown was celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of Hope Catholic Church, with Rev. Gordon Mann as celebrant. Burial was in St. John Cemetery, with military rites by the American Legion and V.
- Vanessa Burton EVANSVILLE -- Vanessa Lynn Burton, 44, died of a sudden illness at 12:10 p.m. Wednesday at Deaconess Gateway Hospital in Evansville. Born Dec. 13, 1969, in Washington, she was the daughter of James Keany Burton Sr., and Alice S. (Arnold) Burton Apple
- Funerals ROBERT TOLBERT -- The funeral for Robert Tolbert was at 11 a.m. Thursday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home, with Bro. Matthew Sullivan and Rev. Jerry Sanders officiating. Burial was in Pleasant Valley Cemetery. Pallbearers were Vic Murray, Michael McBride, L
- Donnita McAtee Donnita J. McAtee, 52, of Washington, died at 2 a.m. Feb. 26 at her residence. Born Nov. 14, 1961, in Princeton, she was the daughter of Thomas McAtee and Patsy (Jackson) Garner. She attended Vincennes University, studying food service management. Sh
- Abraham Wagler MONTGOMERY -- Abraham Wagler, 96, died at 5:50 p.m. Sunday at his residence. He was born Sept. 23, 1917, in Daviess County, the son of Victor and Anna (Kemp) Wagler He was a member of the Old Order Amish Church. He married Elizabeth (Wagler) Wagler O
- More Obituaries Headlines