ODON — Larry E. Spears, 65, passed away at 3:07 p.m. Thursday at Jasper Memorial Hospital surrounded by his loving family. Larry was born in Martin County on Nov. 9, 1946, to Elmer H. Spears and Mary E. (Carrico) Spears-Stoll. He married Cathy Sims on July 30, 1983, at the Shiloh Church of God in Odon. A 1965 graduate of St. John’s High School in Loogootee, Larry had been employed at Masterbrand Cabinets for the past 23 years. Prior to Masterbrand, he worked for 20 years with Haskins Feed Mill and Haskins Litter, Inc. Larry was a member of the Shiloh Church of God, serving in various capacities as a church officer and Sunday school superintendent. He was a charter member of the White River Valley Antique Association and president of the Odon Housing Corporation. Larry loved life and being outdoors. Most notably, he enjoyed gardening and was known to share his harvest with family members, friends and co-workers. Larry always looked forward to the holidays so he could spend time with his family, and especially enjoyed putting up Christmas lights during the holiday season. He will be remembered as a hardworking, well-mannered, and deeply loving husband, father, grandfather and friend. Larry is survived by his wife Cathy; two sons, Jason Sims and wife Kim, and Michael Spears and fiancee Jessica; two grandchildren, Caden and Cooper. He is also survived by three sisters, Paulette (Fred) Eichmiller, Alberta Beatty, Patti (Tom) Fischer; one brother, Dan Spears; two stepsisters, Deedra and Robin; and one stepbrother, Scott. Larry was preceded in death by his parents, brother Elmer L. Spears, and sisters Judy Bruner and Mary Jo Blackman. Visitation and funeral services will both be held at Poindexter and McClure Funeral Home in Odon. Visitation will take place Saturday from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Additional visitation will be held Sunday from noon to 2 p.m., with funeral services beginning at 2 p.m. Pastor Steve Sims of the Shiloh Church of God will officiate. Larry will be interred at Hindostan United Methodist Church Cemetery in Shoals.
Nov. 9, 1946 - Oct. 4, 2012
- Sharon Stewart SHOALS -- Sharon (Jones) Stewart, 80, passed away peacefully Tuesday morning at her residence. The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Thursday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home in Shoals. Burial will be in Spring Hill Cemetery. Visitation is from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wed
- Ronald Powell Ronald R. Powell, 54, of Washington, died at 5 p.m. Friday at Daviess Community Hospital. Services will be held at a later date. Arrangements are being made through Gill Funeral Home. Condolences may be made to the family online at www.gillsince1872.
- Johnnie Duzan LAUREL HILL, N.C. -- Johnnie Wayne Duzan was born in Washington Nov. 19, 1946, son of the late John Andrew Duzan and the late Margie (Dyer) Duzan Garner. John resided in Bradenton, Fla., for many years where he served as a sheriff's deputy for the na
- Funerals AGNES ARVIN -- A Mass of Christian Burial for Agnes "Aggie" McKinney Arvin was celebrated at 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Peter Catholic Church, with Rev. James Koressel officiating. Burial was in St. Peter Cemetery. Pallbearers were Aaron Pentzer, Clark
Rev. Paul Tarr
LOOGOOTEE — Rev. Paul F. Tarr, 79, died at 12:20 a.m. Sunday at Memorial Hospital in Jasper. He was born on May 27, 1934, in West Baden, to Cohen and Bertha (Britton) Tarr. On March 12, 1955, he married Lois E. (Davis) Tarr and she survives. Rev. Tar
- Martha Steiner AVON -- Martha Marie Steiner, 65, passed away Thursday. Martha was born Jan. 21, 1949, in Montgomery, to the late Paul J. and Anna I. (Worland) Steiner. Martha was employed with IU Health as an administrative assistant. She was also a member of St. C
- funerals DARLENE BROWN -- A Mass of Christian Burial for Darlene Brown was celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of Hope Catholic Church, with Rev. Gordon Mann as celebrant. Burial was in St. John Cemetery, with military rites by the American Legion and V.
- Vanessa Burton EVANSVILLE -- Vanessa Lynn Burton, 44, died of a sudden illness at 12:10 p.m. Wednesday at Deaconess Gateway Hospital in Evansville. Born Dec. 13, 1969, in Washington, she was the daughter of James Keany Burton Sr., and Alice S. (Arnold) Burton Apple
- Funerals ROBERT TOLBERT -- The funeral for Robert Tolbert was at 11 a.m. Thursday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home, with Bro. Matthew Sullivan and Rev. Jerry Sanders officiating. Burial was in Pleasant Valley Cemetery. Pallbearers were Vic Murray, Michael McBride, L
- Donnita McAtee Donnita J. McAtee, 52, of Washington, died at 2 a.m. Feb. 26 at her residence. Born Nov. 14, 1961, in Princeton, she was the daughter of Thomas McAtee and Patsy (Jackson) Garner. She attended Vincennes University, studying food service management. Sh
- More Obituaries Headlines