LOOGOOTEE — Florence A. “Flossie” Dant, 92, died at 7:47 p.m. Thursday at her home.
Born in Daviess County, she was the daughter of Lawrence Granville and Florence (Doyle) Matthews.
She married Lawrence K. Dant on Oct. 4, 1941, and he preceded her in death on Sept. 26, 1998.
A 1938 graduate of Montgomery High School, she was a member of St. John Catholic Church and had worked at the former Arrow Cafe and Dant Insurance Agency and Tax Preparation.
Flossie loved talking on her cell phone and texting her family and friends. She enjoyed spending time with her grandchildren, hummingbirds, flowers, cooking, embroidery, and she was an avid reader.
She is survived by three daughters, Margaret and husband Roy Pielemeir of Loogootee; Mary Alice and husband Ken Matthews of Greenwood; Denise and her late husband Charlie Lannan of Loogootee; seven sons, James L. “Jim” and wife Cindy Dant of Chicopee, Mass.; Lawrence “Pat” Dant of Loogootee; John W. and wife Nancy Dant of Loogootee; Francis “Frank” and wife Bonnie Dant of Loogootee; Michael “Mike” and wife Ellen Dant of Loogootee; Anthony J. and wife Aundie Dant of Loogootee; and Timothy D. and wife Tina Dant of Loogootee; two sisters, Isabelle Gates Bradley of Vincennes, and Sarah Matthews of Washington; a brother, Joseph T. “Mike” Matthews of Greensboro, N.C., 31 grandchildren; 42 great grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband; four brothers, Ben, Patrick, Lawrence and Julian Matthews; three sisters, Hilda Day, Alberta Porter and Imogene Kent; a son-in-law, Charlie Lannan; and two great grandchildren.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at St. John Catholic Church in Loogootee. Burial will be in St. Mary’s Catholic Cemetery.
Visitation is from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday at Brocksmith-Blake Funeral Home in Loogootee.
Online condolences may be made at www.brocksmithblakefuneralhomes.com.
- Terrance Harner Terrance E. Harner, 53, of Washington, died at 3:19 a.m. Wednesday at University Hospital, Indianapolis. He was born Aug. 26, 1960, in Washington, the son of Darrell Harner and Judy (Gray) Harner Gaston. A graduate of Washington High School, he earne
- Raymond Blake LOOGOOTEE — Raymond J. Blake, 88, died at 1 p.m. Wednesday at the Loogootee Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center. Born Feb. 11, 1926, in Lawrence County, he was the son of Fredrick E. and Ida May (Hamilton) Blake. He was a U.S. Army veteran serving i
- Ruth Gilmore Ruth Gilmore, 80, of Washington, died at 4:38 p.m. at Prairie Village Nursing Center, with family by her side. Born Nov. 10, 1933, in Knox County, she was the daughter of James Howard and Blanche (Chadd) Weibel. She worked for 10 years as a certified
- Wilma Butcher Wilma Catherine (Brewer) Butcher, 91, of Washington, died at 3:12 p.m. Wednesday. Born May 22, 1923, she was the daughter of Bernard and Zita (McGrath) Carrico. She is survived by one daughter, Carolyn Sue (Artie) Lewis of Washington; two sons, Donal
- Funerals PATRICIA ELPERS — The funeral for Patricia E. Elpers was at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home, Shoals, with Bro. Mike Talcott officiating. Burial was in Spring Hill Cemetery.Pallbearers were Roger Sanders, Brad Tinkle, David Hartley, Gavin
- Norma Lee SHOALS — Norma June Lee, 76, died Tuesday at Select Specialty Hospital in Evansville. Born April 14, 1938, in Dover Hill, she was the daughter of Raymond and Etta (Roberts) Sanders. She was a graduate of Vincennes University and had formerly worked a
- Helen Dages Helen Margaret Dages, 88, died Wednesday. She was born Nov. 3, 1925, in Montgomery, to John and Mary (Westhafter) Kennedy. Helen married Paul James Dages June 10, 1950. She graduated from Montgomery High School in 1943 and furthered her education, gr
- David Bean David Ira Mitchell Bean went to be with his Lord Monday due to a tragic accident. He was born Jan. 25, 1954, to the late Ben and Eva Bean in Sturgis, Kentucky. He was a 1972 graduate of Barr-Reeve High School and a 1976 graduate of St. Louis Christi
- Anita 'Jody' Hawkins SHOALS — Anita J. "Jody" Hawkins, 73, passed away at 12:03 a.m. Tuesday at Westview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Bedford. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Friday at St. Mary of The Immaculate Conception Catholic Church
- Ralph Goodpaster BURNS CITY — Ralph Edward Goodpaster, 72, died Saturday at his home. Born May 3, 1942, in Rushville, he was the son of Russell and Maybelle (Hankins) Goodpaster. A 1959 graduate of Loogootee High School, he also graduated from Vennard Christian Colle
- More Obituaries Headlines