CHICOPEE, Mass. — James L. Dant Sr., 68, died Tuesday at the Soldiers’ Home in Holyoke. James was born Oct. 1, 1944, in Loogootee. He was the son of the late Lawrence and Florence (Matthews) Dant. He was a millwright at the former Uniroyal Corp., Spaulding Sports Worldwide, and Top Flight. James was an Air Force veteran of the Vietnam era, a member of the American Legion Post 353, a member of the National Rifle Association, he was an avid hunter, loved to go snowmobiling, play bingo at Foxwoods, and for over 30 years he enjoyed vacationing in Hampton Beach. James loved animals, especially his own pets and was a great storyteller, but above all things he was a devoted father and grandfather. James is survived by his wife, Cynthia A. (Ostrowski) Dant of Chicopee; two sons, James L. Dant Jr. of Worthington and William L. Dant of Duxbury; two daughters, Darlene C. Labonte of Chicopee and Laura L. Meyer of Hadley; six grandchildren, Steffanie, Patricia, Ava, Mya, John, and Julia; six brothers and three sisters, all of Indiana. James’ funeral service will be held Monday, at the Massachusetts Veterans Memorial Cemetery Chapel, 1390 Main St. in Agawam at 1 p.m. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Soldiers’ Home in Holyoke, 110 Cherry St., Holyoke, MA 01040 and Alzheimer’s Association, 264 Cottage St., Springfield, MA 01104. www.cierpialmemorialfuneralhomes.com
Oct. 1, 1944 - March 19, 2013
- Ronald Powell Ronald R. Powell, 54, of Washington, died at 5 p.m. Friday at Daviess Community Hospital. Services will be held at a later date. Arrangements are being made through Gill Funeral Home. Condolences may be made to the family online at www.gillsince1872.
- Johnnie Duzan LAUREL HILL, N.C. -- Johnnie Wayne Duzan was born in Washington Nov. 19, 1946, son of the late John Andrew Duzan and the late Margie (Dyer) Duzan Garner. John resided in Bradenton, Fla., for many years where he served as a sheriff's deputy for the na
- Funerals AGNES ARVIN -- A Mass of Christian Burial for Agnes "Aggie" McKinney Arvin was celebrated at 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Peter Catholic Church, with Rev. James Koressel officiating. Burial was in St. Peter Cemetery. Pallbearers were Aaron Pentzer, Clark
Rev. Paul Tarr
LOOGOOTEE — Rev. Paul F. Tarr, 79, died at 12:20 a.m. Sunday at Memorial Hospital in Jasper. He was born on May 27, 1934, in West Baden, to Cohen and Bertha (Britton) Tarr. On March 12, 1955, he married Lois E. (Davis) Tarr and she survives. Rev. Tar
- Martha Steiner AVON -- Martha Marie Steiner, 65, passed away Thursday. Martha was born Jan. 21, 1949, in Montgomery, to the late Paul J. and Anna I. (Worland) Steiner. Martha was employed with IU Health as an administrative assistant. She was also a member of St. C
- funerals DARLENE BROWN -- A Mass of Christian Burial for Darlene Brown was celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of Hope Catholic Church, with Rev. Gordon Mann as celebrant. Burial was in St. John Cemetery, with military rites by the American Legion and V.
- Vanessa Burton EVANSVILLE -- Vanessa Lynn Burton, 44, died of a sudden illness at 12:10 p.m. Wednesday at Deaconess Gateway Hospital in Evansville. Born Dec. 13, 1969, in Washington, she was the daughter of James Keany Burton Sr., and Alice S. (Arnold) Burton Apple
- Funerals ROBERT TOLBERT -- The funeral for Robert Tolbert was at 11 a.m. Thursday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home, with Bro. Matthew Sullivan and Rev. Jerry Sanders officiating. Burial was in Pleasant Valley Cemetery. Pallbearers were Vic Murray, Michael McBride, L
- Donnita McAtee Donnita J. McAtee, 52, of Washington, died at 2 a.m. Feb. 26 at her residence. Born Nov. 14, 1961, in Princeton, she was the daughter of Thomas McAtee and Patsy (Jackson) Garner. She attended Vincennes University, studying food service management. Sh
- Abraham Wagler MONTGOMERY -- Abraham Wagler, 96, died at 5:50 p.m. Sunday at his residence. He was born Sept. 23, 1917, in Daviess County, the son of Victor and Anna (Kemp) Wagler He was a member of the Old Order Amish Church. He married Elizabeth (Wagler) Wagler O
- More Obituaries Headlines