MARBLE, N.C. — Aloysius Montford “Monte” Norris, 84, formerly of Daviess County, died Thursday at his home. Born June 7, 1928, in Daviess County, he was the son of Alvin Benedict and Delphia Elizabeth (Conolty) Norris. He was a native of Daviess County, but had lived the past 30 years in Marble, N.C. He entered the U.S. Army in 1946 and retired in 1966. He served in Germany, Okinawa, France, and many stateside posts. He was awarded several commendations. Among them being Army Commendation Medal, National Defense Service Medal, World War II Victory Medal, Army Occupation Medal, Good Conduct Medal and Sharp Shooter Badge. He was of the Catholic faith. He is survived by one daughter, Mary Ellen Bargerhuff, Ph.D., and husband John of Kapolei, Hawaii; one sister, Doris Preston of Vincennes; one brother, Jack and wife Joetta Norris of Winslow; two granddaughters, Kate Bargerhuff of Boston, Mass., and Megan Bargerhuff of Kapolei. He is preceded in death by his parents; his first wife, Wanda (Lavely) Norris; his second wife, Lois (Eagle) Norris; two sons, Steven Jay and Mark Allen Norris; three sisters, Regina Crowder, Helena Chamness and Barbara Wininger; and two brothers, Joseph and Jerome Norris. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Thursday at All Saints Catholic Church in Cannelburg. Burial will be in St. Peter’s Catholic Cemetery in Montgomery, with military rites conducted by the U.S. Army Honor Guard along with the Loogootee American Legion and V.F.W. Visitation is from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Brocksmith-Blake Funeral Home in Loogootee. In lieu of flowers memorial donations may be made to the DAV Murphy Chapter 73, 212 Mountain View Trail, Marble, NC 28905. Online condolences may be made at www.brocksmithblakefuneralhomes.com
June 7, 1928 - Jan. 10, 2013
- Ronald Powell Ronald R. Powell, 54, of Washington, died at 5 p.m. Friday at Daviess Community Hospital. Services will be held at a later date. Arrangements are being made through Gill Funeral Home. Condolences may be made to the family online at www.gillsince1872.
- Johnnie Duzan LAUREL HILL, N.C. -- Johnnie Wayne Duzan was born in Washington Nov. 19, 1946, son of the late John Andrew Duzan and the late Margie (Dyer) Duzan Garner. John resided in Bradenton, Fla., for many years where he served as a sheriff's deputy for the na
- Funerals AGNES ARVIN -- A Mass of Christian Burial for Agnes "Aggie" McKinney Arvin was celebrated at 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Peter Catholic Church, with Rev. James Koressel officiating. Burial was in St. Peter Cemetery. Pallbearers were Aaron Pentzer, Clark
Rev. Paul Tarr
LOOGOOTEE — Rev. Paul F. Tarr, 79, died at 12:20 a.m. Sunday at Memorial Hospital in Jasper. He was born on May 27, 1934, in West Baden, to Cohen and Bertha (Britton) Tarr. On March 12, 1955, he married Lois E. (Davis) Tarr and she survives. Rev. Tar
- Martha Steiner AVON -- Martha Marie Steiner, 65, passed away Thursday. Martha was born Jan. 21, 1949, in Montgomery, to the late Paul J. and Anna I. (Worland) Steiner. Martha was employed with IU Health as an administrative assistant. She was also a member of St. C
- funerals DARLENE BROWN -- A Mass of Christian Burial for Darlene Brown was celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of Hope Catholic Church, with Rev. Gordon Mann as celebrant. Burial was in St. John Cemetery, with military rites by the American Legion and V.
- Vanessa Burton EVANSVILLE -- Vanessa Lynn Burton, 44, died of a sudden illness at 12:10 p.m. Wednesday at Deaconess Gateway Hospital in Evansville. Born Dec. 13, 1969, in Washington, she was the daughter of James Keany Burton Sr., and Alice S. (Arnold) Burton Apple
- Funerals ROBERT TOLBERT -- The funeral for Robert Tolbert was at 11 a.m. Thursday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home, with Bro. Matthew Sullivan and Rev. Jerry Sanders officiating. Burial was in Pleasant Valley Cemetery. Pallbearers were Vic Murray, Michael McBride, L
- Donnita McAtee Donnita J. McAtee, 52, of Washington, died at 2 a.m. Feb. 26 at her residence. Born Nov. 14, 1961, in Princeton, she was the daughter of Thomas McAtee and Patsy (Jackson) Garner. She attended Vincennes University, studying food service management. Sh
- Abraham Wagler MONTGOMERY -- Abraham Wagler, 96, died at 5:50 p.m. Sunday at his residence. He was born Sept. 23, 1917, in Daviess County, the son of Victor and Anna (Kemp) Wagler He was a member of the Old Order Amish Church. He married Elizabeth (Wagler) Wagler O
- More Obituaries Headlines