JASPER – Elizabeth M. “Betty” Vasilak, 88, formerly of Whiting, passed away Wednesday at The Timbers of Jasper after a long illness.
Born Aug. 21, 1924, in Velka Ida, Czechoslovakia, she was the daughter of Joseph and Barbara (Majlath) Monyok.
Betty was a member of St. Joseph Church and St. Ann’s Society in Jasper, where she moved in 1993 to be near her daughters. Before then, she lived in Whiting, where she was a member of Immaculate Conception Church and the St. Anne Sodality (Prayers Sunday at 4 p.m.). She was a member of the American Legion Allied Post 369 of East Chicago Women’s Auxiliary (Memorial service Sunday at 3 p.m.) and the First Catholic Slovak Ladies Association Branch 452 of Whiting. Prior to her marriage, she had lived in the Hessville neighborhood of Hammond since her arrival in the United States in 1948. She was very proud to have been an American citizen. She spoke three languages fluently – Hungarian, Slovak and English. A homemaker after retiring from Holiday Inn in Hammond, she had also worked at Phil Smidt and Son Restaurant in Whiting and earlier as a nurse at St. Catherine’s Hospital in East Chicago, Ind. She had been a resident at The Timbers of Jasper since December 2008. Her hobbies included oil painting, gardening, baking pastries, canning, crocheting delicate doilies and handkerchiefs, and traveling. Above all, she loved caring for her family and her home. A devoted wife, mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother, she will be sadly missed by all who knew and loved her.
Surviving are two daughters, Susan (Steven) Waggoner of Loogootee and Catherine (Glenn) Weil of Jasper; one sister, Mary Staroscsak of Highland; and two sisters-in-law, Betty Monyok of Hebron and Margaret Vasilak of Whiting. Also surviving are five grandchildren, Brad Weil of Washington, D.C.; Beth Weil and Becca Weil, both of Fishers; Kenneth Waggoner and Michael Waggoner, both of Loogootee; as well as great-grandsons Jaylen Castillo and Alex Jarvis, both of Fishers; and several nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Joseph John Vasilak, whom she married Feb. 3, 1951, in Whiting. He preceded her in death on June 8, 1987. She was also preceded in death by her brother, Joseph Monyok.
Funeral services will be held at 9:30 a.m. Monday at the Baran Funeral Home, 1235 119th St., Whiting. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. at Immaculate Conception Church, Whiting, with the Rev. Stanley J. Dominik, officiating. Elizabeth will be laid to rest next to her husband in Calumet Park Cemetery in Merrillville.
Visitation will be from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday at the funeral home.
Condolences may be made online at www.baranfh.com.
- Clifford Doyle TEMPLE, Ga. — Clifford B. Doyle, 73, passed away peacefully on Friday morning at the home of his daughter Shelley Byrd in Temple, Georgia. Clifford was born Sept. 21, 1940, in Montgomery, to Cletus J. and Mary Louise (Squire) Doyle. He married Mary
- Terrance Harner Terrance E. Harner, 53, of Washington, died at 3:19 a.m. Wednesday at University Hospital, Indianapolis. He was born Aug. 26, 1960, in Washington, the son of Darrell Harner and Judy (Gray) Harner Gaston. A graduate of Washington High School, he earne
- Raymond Blake LOOGOOTEE — Raymond J. Blake, 88, died at 1 p.m. Wednesday at the Loogootee Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center. Born Feb. 11, 1926, in Lawrence County, he was the son of Fredrick E. and Ida May (Hamilton) Blake. He was a U.S. Army veteran serving i
Ruth Gilmore, 80, of Washington, died at 4:38 p.m. at Prairie Village Nursing Center, with family by her side. Born Nov. 10, 1933, in Knox County, she was the daughter of James Howard and Blanche (Chadd) Weibel. She worked for 10 years as a certified
- Wilma Butcher Wilma Catherine (Brewer) Butcher, 91, of Washington, died at 3:12 p.m. Wednesday. Born May 22, 1923, she was the daughter of Bernard and Zita (McGrath) Carrico. She is survived by one daughter, Carolyn Sue (Artie) Lewis of Washington; two sons, Donal
- Funerals PATRICIA ELPERS — The funeral for Patricia E. Elpers was at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Queen-Lee Funeral Home, Shoals, with Bro. Mike Talcott officiating. Burial was in Spring Hill Cemetery.Pallbearers were Roger Sanders, Brad Tinkle, David Hartley, Gavin
- Norma Lee SHOALS — Norma June Lee, 76, died Tuesday at Select Specialty Hospital in Evansville. Born April 14, 1938, in Dover Hill, she was the daughter of Raymond and Etta (Roberts) Sanders. She was a graduate of Vincennes University and had formerly worked a
- Helen Dages Helen Margaret Dages, 88, died Wednesday. She was born Nov. 3, 1925, in Montgomery, to John and Mary (Westhafter) Kennedy. Helen married Paul James Dages June 10, 1950. She graduated from Montgomery High School in 1943 and furthered her education, gr
- David Bean David Ira Mitchell Bean went to be with his Lord Monday due to a tragic accident. He was born Jan. 25, 1954, to the late Ben and Eva Bean in Sturgis, Kentucky. He was a 1972 graduate of Barr-Reeve High School and a 1976 graduate of St. Louis Christi
- Anita 'Jody' Hawkins SHOALS — Anita J. "Jody" Hawkins, 73, passed away at 12:03 a.m. Tuesday at Westview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Bedford. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Friday at St. Mary of The Immaculate Conception Catholic Church
- More Obituaries Headlines