Aaron Riggs II

Aaron Riggs II

A Gibson County man is back in jail following a standoff with police attempting to serve a warrant on him for child molesting in Daviess County. Indiana State Police report a U.S. Marshals Task Force, Indiana State Police and the Gibson County Sheriff’s Department went to 4984 W. CR 525 S. near Owensville to serve the warrant on Aaron Riggs II, 30, around 2:30 Wednesday afternoon.

Officers report that when they arrived, Riggs barricaded himself on the second floor of the residence beginning an almost five hour standoff. After numerous attempts to get him to surrender, an Indiana State Police SWAT team was called in around 7:15 p.m. They entered the home and eventually found Riggs hiding in an attic crawl space. He was arrested without further incident and was taken to the Gibson County Jail where he is being held on $500,000 cash bond.

Riggs’ arrest is his second for child molesting in the last two months. He was arrested in August on charges of child molesting, child exploitation, performing sexual conduct in the presence of a minor and voyeurism. Those counts were in connection with a series of alleged incidents involving a 9-year-old girl over a four month period last spring.

Police allege in court documents that during that time he made multiple requests for sex acts from the girl, put a camera in her room and told her to sleep in the nude, and sent her sexual messages on her cellphone. The girl told police she repeatedly told Riggs no and that she did not want to do what he was asking.

Riggs eventually posted 10% of his $100,000 bond and was released from jail.

But police say he did not leave the victim alone. Police filed additional charges of child molesting, obstruction of justice and three counts of invasion of privacy against Riggs for alleged acts involving the child. All but one of the events reportedly happened between Aug. 1, following his arrest and Sept. 7. One allegedly happened between July 1 and Sept. 7.

Police report that according to the conditions of his bond, Riggs was to have no contact with the victim.

A probable cause affidavit filed in connection with the latest charges allege that Riggs sent hundreds of messages to a relative of the victim. Police claim Riggs once again molested the victim. The court documents also claim that Riggs tried to get the victim to lie to the police to try and get the charges against him dismissed.

The latest child molesting charge is a level four felony and carries a potential sentence of two to 12 years in prison and up to $10,000 fine. The obstruction of justice charge is a level five felony and carries a possible sentence of one to six years in prison and a maximum $10,000 fine. The three invasion of privacy charges are class-A misdemeanors. Those have potential penalties of up to a year in prison each and fines of up to $5,000 on each count.

State Police say that so far no additional charges have been brought against Riggs as a result of the standoff in Gibson County.

React to this story:


Recommended for you