North Daviess businessman surrenders to authorities

Lance Parsons

ODON — An Odon area man wanted in connection with a standoff with police earlier this month turned himself in and quickly bonded out of jail. Lance Parsons, 57, of Odon is now free on $100,000 bond after being charged with two counts of possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon and one count of criminal recklessness.

The charges stem from events at Parsons’ home on Dec. 1 and Dec. 2. According to the probable cause affidavit, police were called to the home at CR 14085 N. 1225 E., Odon around 11:30 p.m. when his wife reported a domestic dispute. She reportedly told police that her husband had been drinking and she was frightened after they had argued and he said he was going to commit suicide.

Officers from Odon, the Daviess County Sheriff’s Department and Indiana State Police responded to the scene. They found Parsons in bed in the guest home but they could not see his hands and suspected he was armed. Trooper Mitch Weir, who had worked for Parsons at one time, was called to the scene and the two men spent an hour talking.

At the end of that time, the affidavit states Parsons put down the hand gun and at that time Weir attempted to tase him. The two men wrestled and Parsons managed to recover the gun and fired a shot that hit himself in the neck. A trooper said he saw a second bullet come out of a bedroom door.

Police said that Parsons surrendered around 1:30 a.m. Sunday and was taken to Bloomington Hospital for treatment of the gunshot wound. In the meantime, while Parsons recovered, police filed the paperwork with the Daviess County Prosecutor for the charges.

In the information supporting the charges, Indiana State Police said they recovered a 9 millimeter handgun. Authorities said Parsons received the charges of unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon based upon convictions of rape and burglary in Pierce County, Washington. The criminal reckless charge stemmed from the gun firing while Parsons and Weir wrestled.

Parsons operates a motocross track in northern Daviess County. He remains free on $100,000 bond. No court date has been set yet in Daviess Superior Court.

React to this story: