Emma Dant FP

Washington’s Emma Dant controls the ball against Forest Park in a 3-1 loss on Saturday.

If football is a game of inches, then soccer is a game of bounces. On Saturday, WHS found themselves on the wrong side of a couple of bad bounces in a 3-1 loss to Forest Park at the Sports Complex.

WHS (4-8) had one goal taken off the board, and FP was able find a loose rebound, a high bouncing ball and a penalty kick that proved to be just enough to come away with the victory.

“That was one of the closer 3-1 games you will see,” said WHS coach Cody Chapman. “I thought we played well enough to win, and I thought we were the more dangerous team in the second half.”

The Rangers posted the first point at 24:58. Although both teams had early chances, it was Kenlee Gehlhausen who found a loose ball and poked it in to make 1-0.

Shortly later, FP had a chance on a rebound in front of the goal, and WHS had a chance when Peyton Summers-Ponce went one-on-one with FP keeper Madison Wathen, but was denied in the box.

The Hatchet defense of Avery Wilkerson, Emily Klingle, Ellie Matteson and Sydney Melton helped G.G. Revolorio turn back several furious chances.

WHS evened the score with two minutes to play as an Emma Dant run and shot that led to Hadley Faith evening the score at 1-1, while Chole Browning also had a chance moments later.

The Rangers turned a penalty kick with 35:48 into a goal, as Denia Sicard beat Revolorio on her low right side.

“She guessed right, she just didn’t get to it. That’s just part of the game, she did a great job the other night and stopped three,” said Chapman.

Browning had an opportunity on a free kick with 30:00 to play, along with a perfect through-ball from Dant that also required a good save from Wathen.

Forest Park’s third goal came from Payton Dilger whose long bouncing shot, bounced over Revolorio’s arms as she came to the front of the box to make it 3-1.

Sydney Melton looked like she scored WHS’s second goal; however, it was called off on a controversial off-sides call with 20:00 to play.

“I was never really comfortable with the explanation I got about it. We never really adjusted to the way the game was called. Part of playing this game is adjusting to way the game is being called. The referee was consistent, we just didn’t adjust,” said Chapman. “I thought even the penalty in the box was a little soft.”

The Hatchets take on Jasper on Tuesday on the road.

React to this story:


Recommended for you